Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Irresponsible Parents

It appears that the fathers apparent failure to do anything after the sons first underage drinking incident may have lead to the second.

The kid has no respect for the parents. I love my kids but if they had done anything like this their second worry would be the police.

Barry

kids being kids IMO. I dont get the parents having the police check in to start with though. The truth of the matter, kids that age are going to drink, it is a fact of life, and nothing anyone tries to do is going to prevent it from happeing. This day in age it seems that the act of drinking of possision of alcohol is the big evil. Why are we instead not dealing with this as the reality that it is, and demonizing the bad behavior that often times follows such activities. If they do something stupid, bust their a$$. If they are just drinking and having a good time, who cares, I say let them have a good time, but plant in their heads in advance that being stupid has it price.

The problem as I see it is two fold in this case

1) Why have the police check if you will not let them do anything about it.

2) The kid in question has not learned that stupid has its price based on his past arrest.

Another thing, Barrington is an affluent area, and also a dry town. If you hear a head line out of RI about a teenager being involved in a vehicular homicide with alcohol involved - start from the premise they are from Barrington and then look to eliminate it from there.

The problem as I see it is two fold in this case

1) Why have the police check if you will not let them do anything about it.

2) The kid in question has not learned that stupid has its price based on his past arrest.

Another thing, Barrington is an affluent area, and also a dry town. If you hear a head line out of RI about a teenager being involved in a vehicular homicide with alcohol involved - start from the premise they are from Barrington and then look to eliminate it from there.

1) I agree with you fully on this one. The police are not babysitters, and shouldn't be used as such. If they come, and find something going on, let them deal with it, or don't lay the whole thing on them to start with.

2) Reading the article, his prior arrest was for underage possession of alcohol. Personally, I thing that this is an asinine thing to be able to arrest anyone for. If the arrest resulted from public intoxication, that is another story, and he sould have been charged with that instead, but possession of alcohol is a purely BS charge in my book, because like I say, kids are gonna drink......period. 25 years ago, this was the norm, and actually legal in most places. to me what this shift in law had resulted in, is forcing the kids to go underground with their activities, which results in the activity of drinking being the focus rather than having a good time. because of this, the drinking is taken to the extreeme, and the results are ugly.

I hear you Dave, but I don't think I'm the type of person that could call the cops on my son to get his sorry ars busted just so my son could learn a lesson....I think life lessons can be learnt in other ways.

I think by the dad calling the cops and having the cops visit the house and then the dad calling and talking with his son tells the son that mom and dad know everything and the son's actions can always be noticed even without the parents presents. I think by the dad calling the cops on his son tells the son that mom and dad are serious about what the son's actions are. The ten cent question would be, how did mom and dad follow up after they got home from vacation?????

After I read the link I read what others had said about the article. I have to 100% agree with kortick 39 said:

kortick 39 minutes ago wrote:

"The kids were wrong, they don't realise how dangerous these parties can be. But in all honesty if you allow the police to enter your house, they are free to do as they please. If you dont think they will rip that house apart looking for drugs and booze you are a fool. Those people would have come home to a destroyed house. The unfortunate fact that I know no one wants to hear is there are no good guys anymore. Not these kids, not the parents and not the police. Ask any lawyer what the police would have done to that house, and the damage they would have done. They did the right thing, they broke the party up under supervsion of a relative and the police. No need to let thier house be raided".