Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tampa Bay Offshore Fishing

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jimbo! Didn't we fish out of Bayport the day we trailered the boat all the way from St. Pete? You know, the day you forgot the keys to the boat back in St. Pete??? :2261_high:

Seemed to me we got out to some decent water pretty quick. I might be mistaken.

PS: Hear you are heading out Friday. Me too! Good Luck! I'm heading SW so if you are in that area, raise me on the radio. Monitoring 16.

Hey, Guys. I got my own gear, some dead bait and my Wal Mart credit card...if you need a third?? :P

And you must be thinking of somewhere else. It won't get deep in a hurry up here....

Traps produced nothing. Went out tonight and threw the net after chumming for about 15 minutes. Guess I got about 40 pins. Normally would have 100's. Don't know what's going on. Will hit one of the wrecks on the way out and sabiki some more.

Weather looks ok for Friday, winds will pick up late and into Sat.

Well, headed out to a few wrecks and ledges, starting in about 90' and headed deeper. Had live pins, b runners and assortment of other tasty delectables. Also had dead sardines and tinks.

Weather was perfect, seas maybe 1-2's. The AJ were everywhere. You could see them in pods of 30-40 in the clear water. My crew slammed em. I was happy not to hook up with those donkeys. I was fishing for grouper and was rewarded with two keepers, one in the 10lbs range, the other 12-13 lbs.

The shorty red grouper were everywhere. Interestingly enough, NO ARS. I have not been out, ever, where there were NO ARS.

Other than an issue I was having with my jigging rig, had a great time.

Glad someone got to fish. I take it you fished Friday? I'm hoping to get out next weekend to knock a little dust off before I head to Venice the week after. Of course, the weather will probably suck for both of those trips too.....

Glad someone got to fish. I take it you fished Friday? I'm hoping to get out next weekend to knock a little dust off before I head to Venice the week after. Of course, the weather will probably suck for both of those trips too.....

Yeah, I fished Friday. Was actually out today, in the bay, not offshore. Winds were coming out of the SE. Nice little chop in the bay. Jim sends me an email, the night before.....wanna go fishin' in the bay tomorrow morning??? I mean, who would go out on such short notice??

:239_fishing: ME!

5/3 out of Passe Grill......

Today's deep sea adventure included the Otherline and Grouppimp on Larry's 25 Parker PH.

we headed out the pass at sunrise to see Glen netting some bait out front......we paid homage to the master and continued on our way. destination the "bomber wing" in 155ft.......... home of the massive and plentiful AJs.

the trip out was a solid 2-3 whitecapping sea (building as predicted).....we were desperate but knew Larry's boat could handle it. i knew it would be a good test and confidence builder for Larry as a first truly OFF offshore trip since his ordeal.

finally arrived. whew, travis was not kidding. we caught one after the other 30-50lb AJ's with a cuda mixed in for excitement.......or disappointment depending on your viewpoint. the AJs were so thick they made the Pride look like child's play. Travis brought one boat side and half a dozen of his bruiser buddies schooled up with him. i could have easily gaffed a free swimming 50lb fish.......probably would have lost the gaff.

we decided to move to a known grouper spot a few miles away. however the spot was covered with ARS. Travis nearly hooked a HUGE cobia that snuck up behind the boat........swing and a miss.

with the seas building to a whitecapping 3-4 we decide to head in. score for the day........about 20 or so bruiser AJs (kept 3), Porgies, a bazillion ARS (release in disgust) and a rainbow runner (?).

saw groupershooter and crew on the way in.......post the report boys.....hope you did well.

that's it........carry on.