Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tampa Bay Offshore Fishing

Started this thread to try and encourage discussion related to fishing reports, technique, rigs, etc., unique to West Central Gulf.

I'll start out by introducing myself. My name is Larry and I launch out of S. Pasadena, near St. Pete Beach. While I have, in the past, fished inshore for trout, reds and snook, I prefer the offshore hunt. I am primarily (temporarily) a grouper digger, cobia, snapper etc. I will tolerate an AJ or 2, don't enjoy that fight as much as I used to.

I fish out of a 25' Pilot House with Yammi 250 and contrary to conventional wisdom I do take her out to the MGrounds routinely.

Heading out Friday, weather permitting, SW to 90-120'. I will let you know if we had any action.

I've had the traps out for 2 days already and interestingly enough, I have VERY few pinfish. Not sure what's going on there.???

Looks live we have to go hook em live on the way out and bring plenty of dead sardines.

I hope we get a lot of discussion from other fisherman in the immediate area. Would be nice to meet more locals and see whose doing what.

post-2310-1240316925_thumb.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for holding those two fish I caught. :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Larry.......Thanks for starting this thread for the west central fishermen. Lets see how many people we have over here.? You should tell people about 2 upcoming organized overnight MG trips coming up in June and July.......it is going to be a blast just like last year. :239_fishing:

You should tell people about 2 upcoming organized overnight MG trips coming up in June and July.......it is going to be a blast just like last year. :239_fishing:

I think you just did, but the details are: the Full moon in June, which I believe, NOT SURE, is the 6th or 8th, anyway; going to do an overnighter at the grounds. We have about 10 boats so far ranging in size from the brave 21' footers to the 45' footer. This was done last year from members of another site (not sure if I can say who). Don't see why anyone who wanted to join us on the run out couldn't go.

We are going to have Capt and crew member meeting early May at Hooters on 60 in Clearwater. If you have a boat and want to run with other boats come on over. If you want to fish the Grounds but don't have a boat, you may want to come over and see if you can hitch a ride with someone.

PS: Here is your fish... :lol: Is that legal?

post-2310-1240360405_thumb.jpg

Name is Gordon and I live in Lutz, but launch out of Ft Desoto. Just moved down here from Mississippi about a year and a half ago. I do pretty well on Snappers(Mangrove, Yellowtail, and Red) but have only caught a few keeper Grouper- of course, I am generally targeting Snapper so that may be why :504_shrugging:

Plan on doing a little more trolling this year and a lot more fishing- hopefully.

Fish out of a 23 Seaswirl Center Console with single Yamaha.

Caught this Sailfish trolling from a bottom spot to the Mexican Pride last year.

post-626-1240362168_thumb.jpg

Name is Gordon and I live in Lutz, but launch out of Ft Desoto. Just moved down here from Mississippi about a year and a half ago. I do pretty well on Snappers(Mangrove, Yellowtail, and Red) but have only caught a few keeper Grouper- of course, I am generally targeting Snapper so that may be why :504_shrugging:

Plan on doing a little more trolling this year and a lot more fishing- hopefully.

Fish out of a 23 Seaswirl Center Console with single Yamaha.

Caught this Sailfish trolling from a bottom spot to the Mexican Pride last year.

Gordo:

Nice sail. welcome to Tampa Bay. (red) Snapper is a bad word around here right now because there are so many of those critters and we can't keep them. mangos on the other hand are a GOOD thing and probably one of the hardest to catch. you are the man if you have mastered the "mango tango".

maybe we will see you at the upcoming MG meeting.

ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THAT LITTLE GROUPER ABOVE IS........ that is the fish the Capt put me on...... :1143_neener_neener_neener:

I just typed in a reply to say how annoying the Red Snapper have been on my last few trips out and my reply disappeared? Hope I can still catch them on June 1. Every single one of them has been well over the legal size and they are voracious.

Most of the Mangroves I have caught recently here have been 4-5 pounds. Here's one from back home that was just a little north of 11#

post-626-1240364337_thumb.jpg

I just typed in a reply to say how annoying the Red Snapper have been on my last few trips out and my reply disappeared? Hope I can still catch them on June 1. Every single one of them has been well over the legal size and they are voracious.

Most of the Mangroves I have caught recently here have been 4-5 pounds. Here's one from back home that was just a little north of 11#

YOWZA.......i think that is the biggest i've ever seen. :239_fishing::2403_worshipper:

Great fish, Gordo. Yeah, we don't get them that size unless we wander a ways offshore.

My name is Rick, and we fish out of Bayport, which is just West of the Weeki Wachee attraction. Hwy 50 west of US 19 will put you there. Great ramp with no pressure. On plane in about 5 mins. BUT... a long @ss run to get to deep water. I have ventured to 32 mi. out in my KW (20') and it is only 58' . I have some rocks that regularly turn up good size, legal grouper. However, lots of the inshore rocks are showing good fish this time of the year. Lots of mixed bag fishing during the spring and summer. Some inshore spots will have big trout, mackeral, small shark, small grouper, mango's and cobia.

Just got my bestgpsspots chip loaded last week and am looking forward to trying some newer places.

Great fish, Gordo. Yeah, we don't get them that size unless we wander a ways offshore.

My name is Rick, and we fish out of Bayport, which is just West of the Weeki Wachee attraction. Hwy 50 west of US 19 will put you there. Great ramp with no pressure. On plane in about 5 mins. BUT... a long @ss run to get to deep water. I have ventured to 32 mi. out in my KW (20') and it is only 58' . I have some rocks that regularly turn up good size, legal grouper. However, lots of the inshore rocks are showing good fish this time of the year. Lots of mixed bag fishing during the spring and summer. Some inshore spots will have big trout, mackeral, small shark, small grouper, mango's and cobia.

Just got my bestgpsspots chip loaded last week and am looking forward to trying some newer places.

Hey Rick........man, you are not kidding about the distance to deeper water up there.....and i complain about down here. i towed up to Crystal River a few years back. i keep going, and going, and going until i finally just turned around and decided to hang out in the river. i love all the sea life that the fresh clean water brings to the area.

take care.

Hey Jimbo! Didn't we fish out of Bayport the day we trailered the boat all the way from St. Pete? You know, the day you forgot the keys to the boat back in St. Pete??? :2261_high:

Seemed to me we got out to some decent water pretty quick. I might be mistaken.

PS: Hear you are heading out Friday. Me too! Good Luck! I'm heading SW so if you are in that area, raise me on the radio. Monitoring 16.