Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Has Anyone Put New Seals In Their Teleflex Hydraulic Steering?

I've had some play in my steering and just topped off when necessary with fluid, but last trip I pretty much lost all steering in the course of the day and made coming back kinda hairy. I've noticed some fluid coming from both sides of the cylinder that pushes the motor from side to side. I assume there are seals in there that have gone bad, but would appreciate any advice from someone who's been down this road.

I put new seals in mine last year , It was a piece of cake . A 3rd hand does help.

Be sure to get the SPANNER WRENCH with the kit [ unless you know someone close by with one .

The directions in the kit are good , just follow them and you will have minimal leakage.

It will take about 30 min. to change them them take your time filling and turning the wheel to bleed.

I hooked up the jug and left it hanging from my T-Top over night to get the air out, worked like a champ.

Be sure to check your ROD , you don't want ANY rough spots in it , if it is rough get a new one or she will leak again SOON.

..............Be sure to check your ROD , you don't want ANY rough spots in it , if it is rough get a new one or she will leak again SOON.

yes sir it will!

if it is not too bad you can clean it up/smooth out imperfections with some 2000 wet/dry sandpaper. if you can't get it perfectly smooth don't risk damaging the new seals......or back to square one.

I've had SeaStar steering on my boats (2) since 1992...in my experence the seal replacement doesn't last.

I've had one helm leak and one cylinder leak...the only way they lay any length of time was to replace them. On the helm the shaft was worn heavily (re-sealed 2 times over 9 years), but not the cylinder...never could figure why it would start leaking again (put seals in it 3 times over 5 years). I had 10 years on one helm that never leaked and 9 years on one cylinder that never leaked...wish they were on the same boat, my current boat!

I agree. The one on my ROBALO has been flawless for 20 years and even took it off and it is on my pontoon now. The one on my Twinn Vee I have been replaced seals twice,then the whole helm and the seals once in the replacement helm and it is just 5 yrs old. Go figure. :504_shrugging::753_hammer_hitting_head: