Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Parent Rant.......dui In My Back Yard

Wife and I were alseep last night at 2:30 am when the golden retriever sound the alarm. I jump up and find a nice new shiney Z71 PU in my back yard minus about 50 ft of my privacy fence :753_hammer_hitting_head:

The LEO's are here in 2 seconds. turns out a 16 year kid drunks as a skunk barely could walk winds up in our back yard. The mother shows up shocked that her son could do such a thing. She later concedes that her son has been in some sort of trouble once before.

the LEO's give him a sobreity test and promptly fails. Then the step dad shows up and he can't beleive the boy has done such a thing. He then protests his arrests the LEO's inform him that for DUI's its SOP to arrest. The Dad comments" He was drinking??" LEO replies thats what we do is put drunk drivers in jail :605_thumbs_up:

Times have changed since I was growing up in the big 80's. My old man would've had me preferring jail as opposed to his justice. I asked my Dad today what he would've done and he said do you really have to ask..LOL

I would have been down here with my Dad rebuilding the fence once i was out of the klink. That would've been only the start for me.

The mother was appologetic and said she would make restitution this AM. Of course no call this am or afternoon they also live a street over from me. So I roust up my foreman that works for me and we knock it out after documenting everything. They will get a bill from me tomorrow for the repairs.

Why would a parent let a 16 child behind the wheel of a 35k vehicle at 2am in the morning which is past the county enforced curfew??

what ever happened to kids driving an older model vehicle so they can learn to respect what they have. If I had kids they would learn what it takes to earn a dollar be it work or grades. That how I was raised

I do know alot a of good kids in the hood as well but their parents are centered and demand excellence from their kids. There seems to be too much of this "not my angel" crowd around these days.

Am i off base here? what do the parents on here think. Someone re instill my faith in todays youth :471_confused_face:

Wife and I were alseep last night at 2:30 am when the golden retriever sound the alarm. I jump up and find a nice new shiney Z71 PU in my back yard minus about 50 ft of my privacy fence :753_hammer_hitting_head:

The LEO's are here in 2 seconds. turns out a 16 year kid drunks as a skunk barely could walk winds up in our back yard. The mother shows up shocked that her son could do such a thing. She later concedes that her son has been in some sort of trouble once before.

the LEO's give him a sobreity test and promptly fails. Then the step dad shows up and he can't beleive the boy has done such a thing. He then protests his arrests the LEO's inform him that for DUI's its SOP to arrest. The Dad comments" He was drinking??" LEO replies thats what we do is put drunk drivers in jail :605_thumbs_up:

Times have changed since I was growing up in the big 80's. My old man would've had me preferring jail as opposed to his justice. I asked my Dad today what he would've done and he said do you really have to ask..LOL

I would have been down here with my Dad rebuilding the fence once i was out of the klink. That would've been only the start for me.

The mother was appologetic and said she would make restitution this AM. Of course no call this am or afternoon they also live a street over from me. So I roust up my foreman that works for me and we knock it out after documenting everything. They will get a bill from me tomorrow for the repairs.

Why would a parent let a 16 child behind the wheel of a 35k vehicle at 2am in the morning which is past the county enforced curfew??

what ever happened to kids driving an older model vehicle so they can learn to respect what they have. If I had kids they would learn what it takes to earn a dollar be it work or grades. That how I was raised

I do know alot a of good kids in the hood as well but their parents are centered and demand excellence from their kids. There seems to be too much of this "not my angel" crowd around these days.

Am i off base here? what do the parents on here think. Someone re instill my faith in todays youth :471_confused_face:

If that was me I would have been begging the cops to take me to jail.cuz my dad would have :753_hammer_hitting_head: for ever

You're not off base at all....I'm right there with you. In my world, kids drive used cars and learn respect for cars and the money and Parents who provide them.

That said: when I was 16 (this was also in the early 80's) I did pretty much what that kid did except in a ten year old Ford Courier a telephone pole. My Dad reacted exactly like you said yours would have!

My Daughter is destined to have the same parental experience that I did, and I have to tell you....my parents are the reason that I turned out OK. I was not a teenager that I would want to be the parent of, but good parenting was what made it all work out. You can bet that I worked off the cost of that telephone pole ($1650) , the truck ($2000) and then some (Dad had some stress that needed to be compensated) and I would have damn sure worked off your fence, just as my own daughter will (God forbid) if she makes the mistakes I did.

Your not off base.... too many people dont hold their kids responsible for their actions. There are still good kids and parents out there but in this time of PC when it easier to make excuses or point fingers or blame someone else I think there are fewer than 25 years ago when the public tempo and opinion was different...

You know whats interesting? It seems that the good kids I know are like hyper squeakey clean. church quire, straight A students athletes etc. the kind of kids that stress out over a B+. It seems to be a shortage of the middle of the road kids like me and fishnutz that did stupid things but were generally decent kids. I mean my brothers kids any parent would be proud. But for cryin out loud their nerds LOL!!

I guess I am just old and out of touch LOL.

One more of those DUI's and that kid wouldn't be driving for a year in this state. Yeah, I wasn't a saint either, but I never held up the local 7-11. I did get a minors possession and arrested at 17...the ol man refused to come get me. My friends dad showed up the next am to get me out.

That only had to happen once. Maybe this kid just got a wake up call and will straighten his @ss out.

The wife drove school buses here for about two years. Middle grade kids are the worst. Also the parents. "Not my little Johnny" was their war cry. They could not believe he would actually show the little girls around him the size of his....well, u get the picture. It took forever to get these little monsters bounced off the bus....and the wife was literally afraid of reprisals!

Well by no measure or any means was I an angel, but you can book one dang thing. I was never brought home by the law, nor was my father ever called on because of me by the law. When I got my driver's licsense he sat me down and in plain english explained what would happen TO ME if I ever done anything to embarash him.

My dad was an auxillary sheriff's deputy and a part time city policeman, he new where I was, who I was with, everytime I left the house. The few times I transgressed he knew about it before I got home. So it was a matter of standing tall and taking my medicine, forget about telling my side of the story. As far as he was concerned if an adult any adult called with a report concerning me it was true. I will say on the other hand, once I paid "the butcher" it was all over, lesson learned and I was back even steven.

I raised my kids the same way, found out that it was not easy being the hard arse. Did have fun one time nearly strangling my daughter's soon to be X boy friend. I did let him go just as his eyes rolled back in his head. Still funny when I think of his feet windmilling as I held him clear of the ground, by the throat.The idiot had some kind of idea that because he was 6" taller and 25lbs heavier than me he had nothing to fear. He left out going a lot faster than when he showed up. Ahhh! Those were the days.

My girls would tell there friends and grandmas that they have a mean Daddy.

That's because I will not put up with back talk or breaking the rules.

My Dad told me that if I went to jail , I got myself in and I could get myself out. Then he told me I better not start a fight but if I was in one I BETTER finish it.

I believed him because he never lied to me .

Now the Drunk kid , I'm not sue happy but I would file suit on that kid just to drive it home because his Parental units wont.

I don't know what it is with people now days , they think there kids are perfect . If junior can start the car and make it go for a few weeks he must be able to drive anything and have total knowledge of driving . Then they wonder why Jr. doesn't have any RESPECT for the family car .

Why should Jr. care ? He has been given everything and is not held accountable for anything .

Kids today are so lazy that if they do ANYTHING they are over rewarded because the lazy parental unit is so amazed that the dysfunctional game boy playing heathen did something.

I am so tired of seeing kids sit on their azz while mom and dad do yard work and home maintenance and the brats wont even come outside . Just how in the he!! are the brats going to learn anything . Here ya go .......Yeah son , take my 40.000 dollar truck and go play while I mow the yard........NOT, it should be--- Dad the yard is done what do you want me to do now ?

Man when I was a little kid the neighbors were aloud to beat you, yes BEAT you , and if they had to lay into ya it was way worse when you got home, And school oh dude , you didn't want to get in trouble at school because that made your parents look bad and the worse you made your parents look the better the beating you got at home .

Now days the kid gets in trouble at school the parent calls down to the school [ Their to lazy to drive and the VP doesn't want to see them anyway ] and ###### to get their brat off the hook and it works , The parents feel like superman, The teachers don't care and the kid learns that he is NOT RESPONSIBLE.

My girls would tell there friends and grandmas that they have a mean Daddy.

That's because I will not put up with back talk or breaking the rules.

My Dad told me that if I went to jail , I got myself in and I could get myself out. Then he told me I better not start a fight but if I was in one I BETTER finish it.

I believed him because he never lied to me .

Now the Drunk kid , I'm not sue happy but I would file suit on that kid just to drive it home because his Parental units wont.

I don't know what it is with people now days , they think there kids are perfect . If junior can start the car and make it go for a few weeks he must be able to drive anything and have total knowledge of driving . Then they wonder why Jr. doesn't have any RESPECT for the family car .

Why should Jr. care ? He has been given everything and is not held accountable for anything .

Kids today are so lazy that if they do ANYTHING they are over rewarded because the lazy parental unit is so amazed that the dysfunctional game boy playing heathen did something.

I am so tired of seeing kids sit on their azz while mom and dad do yard work and home maintenance and the brats wont even come outside . Just how in the he!! are the brats going to learn anything . Here ya go .......Yeah son , take my 40.000 dollar truck and go play while I mow the yard........NOT, it should be--- Dad the yard is done what do you want me to do now ?

Man when I was a little kid the neighbors were aloud to beat you, yes BEAT you , and if they had to lay into ya it was way worse when you got home, And school oh dude , you didn't want to get in trouble at school because that made your parents look bad and the worse you made your parents look the better the beating you got at home .

Now days the kid gets in trouble at school the parent calls down to the school [ Their to lazy to drive and the VP doesn't want to see them anyway ] and ###### to get their brat off the hook and it works , The parents feel like superman, The teachers don't care and the kid learns that he is NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Unfortunately Welder you're right. My wife is a middle school teacher she hear's the "not my angel" way too much. I am calling the mother today to give here my bill of $850.00. I may give them a break if the commit their son to paint the fence. I let yall know the responce albeit I pretty much know where this is going unfortunately