Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Teak Gunnel Replacement

I need to replace my gunnels. The old ones are teak. I was looking to use Starboard. My brother has a painting comp and told me about a product called Azek. It is a composite like material used on decks and trims. It can be cut and drilled like wood. Since it is used on decks it should be UV resitant. It is way cheaper than starbord. Is anyone familar with this? As always, thanks in advance.

Azek is used for decks...I think it would probably work OK for gunnels as far as strength and durability, but I'm not sure how it would look...it has kind of a "rough cut" surface, so my thought is that it might look a bit unfinished for a boat. On the other hand, it would have good non-skid properties for that same reason.

Azak is a good material for home constuction and could have some applications in the marine world.

It is available in 3/4 and 1 inch by 3 1/2 5 1/2 7 1/4 9 1/4 11 1/4 by 18 foot

3/8 and 3/4 inch by 4' x 8' sheets

various shapes and moldings

It can be glued together with pvc cement

Youll have to test sealents to see if they will stick to it

Any cut or routed ends will have to be sealed the factory extruded edges are sealed but any other edges will absorb dirt, moisture, mildew , everything even though there is nothing to rot.

I like the material a lot its used here as exterior trim since it wont rot and can be painted

the draw back is the cut, routed edges

Have you concidered fiberglass for gunnels with a textured gelcoat