Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Hydrofoils, Planing Plates...

OK, I really can't mount trim tabs on my boat without re-working the swim platform. I dont like the idea of drilling into cast metal on the lower unit and bolting something on... I saw this, and spoke with the sales staff, and surprisingly, was told to steer clear, that they had about 1/2 of all they sold returned with cracks. (on the unit, not the lower end)

I would like something to get me on plane quicker, and this seemed like a option. Maybe its the materials its composed of, and maybe people were pulling their fat old aunt out of the water on ski's. But for half of them to be returned (and I didnt get a time frame on how long between sale-install-return) well, 1/2 of them cracked/broken doesnt sound like its a good investment.

Anyone know of any no-drill units other than this one? How about add-on hydrofoils in general? Any horror stories of them breaking the fins on the lower end? Any success stories? happy campers? Recommendations?

https://www.savvyboater.com/p-261-stingray-...l-mounting.aspx

OK, I really can't mount trim tabs on my boat without re-working the swim platform. I dont like the idea of drilling into cast metal on the lower unit and bolting something on... I saw this, and spoke with the sales staff, and surprisingly, was told to steer clear, that they had about 1/2 of all they sold returned with cracks. (on the unit, not the lower end)

I would like something to get me on plane quicker, and this seemed like a option. Maybe its the materials its composed of, and maybe people were pulling their fat old aunt out of the water on ski's. But for half of them to be returned (and I didnt get a time frame on how long between sale-install-return) well, 1/2 of them cracked/broken doesnt sound like its a good investment.

Anyone know of any no-drill units other than this one? How about add-on hydrofoils in general? Any horror stories of them breaking the fins on the lower end? Any success stories? happy campers? Recommendations?

https://www.savvyboater.com/p-261-stingray-...l-mounting.aspx

Semi- My current boat is the first one I've owned with tabs....I bought one of those (the same one) before learning that tabs were all I needed so it was on the boat for a couple of months and it's been sitting in the garage ever since.

It was very easy to put on. All you do is remove the trim tab behind the prop (one bolt) then slide the thing on and bolt the trim tab back on-that's what holds it.

If you want it, shoot me a PM...If you'll cover shipping I'll send it to you.

Semi- My current boat is the first one I've owned with tabs....I bought one of those (the same one) before learning that tabs were all I needed so it was on the boat for a couple of months and it's been sitting in the garage ever since.

It was very easy to put on. All you do is remove the trim tab behind the prop (one bolt) then slide the thing on and bolt the trim tab back on-that's what holds it.

If you want it, shoot me a PM...If you'll cover shipping I'll send it to you.

Rich, If it suits you, I could meet you somewhere in Raleigh one day. I work up there 3-4 days out of the week.

And, if I get it from you, and it works for me, without breaking or falling off (which is what I have read it does on several other sites, like Cabela's) then we can work out an amount that its worth to us both?

I had one on mine and I liked it. A doel fin is like a bandaid and it works well for what it is. Our boat was a little bit underpowered and it helped us out a lot. We would always run light or pull skiers. We put the fin on and we were able to go from 35mph WOT to about 40mph WOT (running light). We probably could have seen similar gains switching props depending on the load. The prop we were using was good for our boating style and switching props every trip would have been a pain. The ultimate fix would have been a higher hp engine, but the fin helped lessen the effects of an underpowered boat. For reference, we had the SE 300 Sport Tab.

I have used the Stingray on 2 different boats since 1996 and never had a failure that wasn't caused by me backing into something with it.....:) I have never had one crack, break, fall off etc. they are really simple to install and i only wish that they had the no drill option when I got mine many moons ago. By the way it has made a noticable difference on both boats i have had it on. Does not replace trim tabs but is useful if you want to lower the bow a little without draining the bank account.

I always wanted to ask the test center guys in Stuart why didn't OMC just make them a option on motors? If it helps so much (yes I have had them ) why don't more after market guys make them a welded on lower unit replacement case. (like the low water pick-up guys)

With all the smaller HP flats boat enthusiast out there I would think there would be a interest. :504_shrugging:

Murphy Law::::: I know I will be enjoying a boat show and will come up to a booth with one of my fellow forum members selling my idea. LOL Can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

:1992_beer_cheer:

I put the SE Sport 300's on my SeaCraft a few years back and they helped the ride a bunch and didn't see any loose of speed nor econmy. My engines were most like low though...my new engines were mounted at the same height and they were too low.

I have installed them on the new motors, but have not ran the boat yet...so I have not idea if they will help or not.

One thing I did find...when I removed the old SE Sports to install on the new motors...the rubber washers that go between the cavitation plate and the fin were pretty much toast. I made some new ones out of a truck tire liner...other wise they were good as new after several years on the OptiMax's I had.

I can't wait to see how they do on the new Suzuki motors.