Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

OEM's and "Partnerships"

I know this has been beaten to death probably a hundred times, but what gives? Edgewater, who is not owned by Yamaha, rigs exclusively with Yamaha because (according to Edgewater staff), Edgewater "is a Yamaha OEM". Scout does the same (didn't used to up until a few years ago) and that is an independent company. Both companies will sell "custom unrigged" boats, but they'll have to build you one - nothing sits in their yards or gets shipped out to dealers without Yamaha power, unless its a custom build.

Obviously, power is the best example, so can anyone elaborate on why these boat manufacturers do this? Do they get kickbacks or other incentives for rigging this way? IMO, I'd really like to pick the power just as I pick the craft. Doesn't make sense to me to drop $100k, plus on a new rig and not get it the way you want.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, power is the best example, so can anyone elaborate on why these boat manufacturers do this? Do they get kickbacks or other incentives for rigging this way?

An emphatic YES!!! The way you want it? NO!!! Being in the boat building business, I don't agree with this policy. But then, I don't write the checks either... :rolleyes:

IMO, I'd really like to pick the power just as I pick the craft. Doesn't make sense to me to drop $100k, plus on a new rig and not get it the way you want.

I couldn't agree more. Boat companies that use one engine brand EXCLUSIVELY (as I have seen it put by some people) don't do it because they think its the best engine. They do it because they are either obligated by contract or because thats the brand they make the most money on. Either way its all about money.

One advantage to using one brand of motor is that hopefully the manufacturer will have the boat set up properly from the factory with the right prop and motor mounted at the best height. However it never seems to work that way.

I am sure it is somewhat like the Coke Pepsi thing at restaurants only bigger. There is a monetary gain by the manufacturer to rig their brand. Also there maybe a standardization for the boat companies. I am thinking it must be well worth their time to rig a certain brand.

Not particularly. Engine rigging and ancillary parts (gauges, controls, helm layout) are of course different, but easy to accomodate. The key, in my opinion, and having spent 15 years at the OEM builder level, is that the customer is much more likely to purchase if he/she can have their choice of power right out of the box. Rigging the boat at the onset is so much easier, and therefore less costly, than rigging it later.

When I was with Stamas Yacht, initially they were a "Yamaha Only" builder (although Suzuki made inroads in '04). Yet, with their I/B's, you could get Yanmar, Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Volvo Penta Diesel or gas, Mercruiser, or Crusader. Didn't matter. So obviously there was no monetary incentive of any great value to persuade Johnny Stamas one way or the other.

At the very least, OEMs should offer a pre-rig, with all gauges, controls, harnesses, and cables in place, and let the dealer sell and hang the motors. But give the buyer a choice!

Off my soapbox now... :605_thumbs_up:

I heard this today.

From what I understand, when Brunswick bought out seapro, they had 1 year to go on a commitment to use Yamahas. After the year was up, Brunswick offered Yamaha, Mercury Optimax, and Verados. The next year, just Optimax and Verados. Finally they were rigging them with only Verados. So in essence they were forcing you to buy a Verado. Everyone doesn't like the same thing, so they went from selling a lot of seapros rigged with differnt configurations to just 1 configuration, and the market shrunk.

Like I say, I was talking to a Mercury Mechanic today and that was what he told me. He felt like Brunswick restricted them right out of production.

I heard this today.

From what I understand, when Brunswick bought out seapro, they had 1 year to go on a commitment to use Yamahas. After the year was up, Brunswick offered Yamaha, Mercury Optimax, and Verados. The next year, just Optimax and Verados. Finally they were rigging them with only Verados. So in essence they were forcing you to buy a Verado. Everyone doesn't like the same thing, so they went from selling a lot of seapros rigged with differnt configurations to just 1 configuration, and the market shrunk.

Like I say, I was talking to a Mercury Mechanic today and that was what he told me. He felt like Brunswick restricted them right out of production.

When an engine company owns a boat builder...well, we don't see 4.6L Fords in Chevys now, do we?

I build boats, you build engines. Let's keep it that way... :605_thumbs_up:

Great information. I can understand the larger companies who have entities that manufacture both boats and engines, but the indies still baffle me. Scout builds boats and that is where most of their revenue comes from. Maybe they get factory incentives to rig Yamaha's - but if I like Merc's or Suzy's or Evi's, I'm probably going to switch rigs to get the engine I want. I can find another 'unsinkable' like Edgewater, Whaler, Everglades, etc. Any of those rigs would be at least equal to the Scout.

So.....I don't understand why an independent boat mfgr. would risk losing a move-up customer (and we all know how much we all like to move up) for what? A grand...maybe two from the engine mfgr.? I'd have to think the profit margin on the hull and options is a hell of a lot more than that.

...and it's not like we're a bunch of unedumacated dolts looking for a 16' bowrider with a stern drive and don't care what's under the cover. These rigs are for offshore fishing, cruising and work. IOW, they can't ram anything down *our* throats and not experience a downside.

Does any of this make sense?

Drop,

Take a look at our latest offerings, the Pro-Lite series. Offered with Suz or Etec. Proline used to be one of Merc's biggest customers. But they didn't want to play the "money" game (hint: easy financing). That's why you see those 2 motors on the Transoms of Pro-Lites.

Every little bit helps a company in these times.

BTW, The Suzuki 300 is my favorite motor, so I'm happy...Soon to be a 400, I hope... :605_thumbs_up: