Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Battery Combiner

Yes. I have two battery banks on a twin engine inboard boat. Bank one is just a single starting battery. Bank two consists of six golf cart batteries for the house. The combiner is a Blue Seas Systems product. It basically charges bank number 1 first (which usually doesn't take very long) then moves to the house bank. Works well.

I think the combiner is the way to go, I run the house battery sw in "off" position, meaning the the house batteries are not conected to engine battery 1 or 2. All three of my battery switches are the same and are I guess properly refered to as battery selectors, each has positions 1 or 2 or ALL or off. On a new install, I would use just two Dual circuit battery switchs so that the same connections could be made and still be able to turn off the house battery from it's load, which I can do only by turning off a couple of breakers now. It is nice to have the combiner charging up your house battery without having to remember to turn a switch and for night fishing, having to remember to isolate you start batteries.

I don't care for the the "1-2-Both" switches. I've used the BEP Marine voltage sensing relays in two boats now. One was a single outboard/two bank set-up (one relay), and the new boat has a dual outboard/three bank configuration (two relays).

Once installed, VSR's are a no-muss/no-fuss way to keep your batteries charged. I like 'em!

With the Perko switch, I can select battery 1 or 2 to run on while the battery not selected receives a full charge. Can then select the other battery next day with charge then going to battery not selected which always leaves you with a fully charged battery assuming you batteries are in good condition. I have group 24 deep cycle batteries and am going on my 5th season with same.