Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Key West Sailfish Tournament Professionals?

Do all "Tournament Professionals" act like they own the ocean and display poor seamanship?

They were in my case a bunch of spoiled jerks with boating skills of a 10 year old. While maintaining a constant heading off Looe Key trolling I had two seperate "tournament fisherman boats" pass me and then turn 90 degrees into my path and begin to pitch to fish. If it happened one time I'd consider it an error in judgement but the same boat did it three times and the other twice. It's not the situation where they were a safe distance ahead and then turned as I had to make course corrections to avoid them. No, they did not pick me out to act this way they did it to others as well. While I cannot prove they were part of the tournament they were not "LOCAL boats" from the Keys according to the names on the stern. As many say down here they must have been from New Jersey (no offense intended).

Yes, I understand it's money but perhaps sportsmanship should play a part in what they're trying to accomplish and the tournament directors should be aware of their unprofessional actions.

If there is a next time, I'll be sure to get the boat names of the offenders and post them with pictures of their actions as well as ###### to the FWC and Coasties. :1925_:

LD

Not sure what the big deal is for you or why you think they were Professional. Sounds like they were on a good school of fish and we're picking up and running to get back in front of them. While trolling on a constant heading and not realizing what was going on in the water with these boats...maybe you (1boat) were interfering with 2 other boats. Everyone is having fun out there when they are biting.