Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ball of Fish

If thats your "poor quality" pictures, I would like to see your good ones! Great pics!

Baitfish ball up like that so they can rub against each other, usually because parasites have attached themselves to the bait. The rubbing action allows the baitfish to knock off the irritating parasites. Larger fish, or "gamefish", gather under the bait balls to feed on the falling parasites...

if nobody calls BS on this i will die laughing.......that is sooooo stupid

have a great weekend :1992_beer_cheer:

Would calling BS on your post constitute a violation because we insulted you?

If YES, then you have a very good theory worthy of consideration :rolleyes:

If NO, my Lord what were you drinking when you came up with that unbelievable explanation that appenetly is not shared by any else who is not wearing a tin-foil cap :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Would calling BS on your post constitute a violation because we insulted you?

If YES, then you have a very good theory worthy of consideration :rolleyes:

If NO, my Lord what were you drinking when you came up with that unbelievable explanation that appenetly is not shared by any else who is not wearing a tin-foil cap :1143_neener_neener_neener:

hehehe. Hey, I say fish jump out of the water because it feels good to them. I have lots of theories that are scientifically unproven, but very arguable, IF the drinks are right. :)

Pretty cool to watch. We were trolling last summer out of OI and came up on a bait ball at least 15 feet across 25 miles out. Just from the bridge I counted 8 sails attacking this ball with who knows how many more underneath. Birds were working it, fish tailing everywhere! They were so focused on all this bait we drew only one bite after a ton of effort. Couldn't draw the fish off...they were just too interested in what they had.

Last summer we came upon a really large school of baitfish all balled up just outside Sebastian Inlet on an outgoing tide, there were probably 15 boats surronding it and the bluefish and jacks were tearing it up from underneath and the birds were working the top. It had to be 30-40 ft across and the water looked like it was boiling. The ball moved from the mouth of the inlet to the north jetty, then close to the breakers and then back out to 40 ft of water on a meandering path heading north. It was a fun hour, we didn't land anything but had some really long runs on 15lb test spinning gear on a couple of the jacks.