Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ball of Fish

I was lucky enough to be in St John USVI this past week. While on a snorkling party boat, We saw a 20 ft diameter ball of green/brown bait fish being hit by birds from up top, and sharks (I think lemon sharks?) underneath. It was amazing. The ball of fish was brownish/greenish, and dense as all hell. I would guess 100,000 fish. They were acting this way on their own as a defense mechanism I guess? The boat captains had never seen it.

Any insight as to why they do this? You ever seen this? I took pictures but they didnt really come out too well. I didn't know the proper settings on the camera to use, but I will post later.

It was a "bait ball". I've never seen it in person, but I watched a show on Discovery where they had filmed it while a pod of Porpoises drove a bunch of baitfish into a ball just like you described and had a buffet. you're exactly right that balling up is a defense mechanism. (or so says Discovery)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/Th...ce/IMG_0547.jpg

In the lower right hand of the photo, you can see one of the sharks barely...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/Th...ce/IMG_0548.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality. The clarity and color were different in person. I wish I knew how to work the settings on the digital better...And yes, I guess the balling to make them appear like a bigger fish makes sense. Thanks guys.

post-1568-1239324703_thumb.jpg

post-1568-1239324728_thumb.jpg

If thats your "poor quality" pictures, I would like to see your good ones! Great pics!

Baitfish ball up like that so they can rub against each other, usually because parasites have attached themselves to the bait. The rubbing action allows the baitfish to knock off the irritating parasites. Larger fish, or "gamefish", gather under the bait balls to feed on the falling parasites...

if nobody calls BS on this i will die laughing.......that is sooooo stupid

have a great weekend :1992_beer_cheer:

If thats your "poor quality" pictures, I would like to see your good ones! Great pics!

Baitfish ball up like that so they can rub against each other, usually because parasites have attached themselves to the bait. The rubbing action allows the baitfish to knock off the irritating parasites. Larger fish, or "gamefish", gather under the bait balls to feed on the falling parasites...

if nobody calls BS on this i will die laughing.......that is sooooo stupid

have a great weekend :1992_beer_cheer:

Ok....I'm calling BS....but just so you don't die.