Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Harnell Rod Blanks / anyone remember ?

I grew up on the gulf side of Florida and friends and I used to build rods , tried a cast net once we won't go there. this is back 68, 69 or so but I remember those were the top of the line blanks. I am thinking about the 550's & 552's you could put a 9/0 or a 12/0 on them and shark off of the piers, tough rods only had those shoulder harness's , nothing that wrapped around your butt like these things that save your back, of course ergonomic's (sp?) wasn't on the mind then. anyway anyone remember the old Harnell's ?

Butch

I "remember" the 550 being the short boat rod , I could not bend it much, we used to shark off of the piers and I built a couple of them white grips with the blank exposed , jet black blank with red and gold and black wrap , had the diamond in the center of the bridges, then came the army . I need to find me another old Singer sewing machine with the foot pedal !!

some one bought them I can not remember now Though.

Butch

Boy, I sure do remember them I built tons of them.

About 12-15 years ago a store that carried them in Largo, Fl was going out of business and I just happened to be there the day the sale started. The owner told me that he had about 75 Harnell and Harrington blanks, I bought them all right then and there. I sold a few and built some but I still have 25 or so. I'll get around to building them some day.

I built 3 or 4 of the monster blanks for shark fishing, they have bigfoot guilds, Aftco uni-butts and they all say "Rodzilla" on them. One of them whipped a 750+ Tiger to win a major west coast tourny.

Before you ask, I don't build much any more so I don't take orders and I don't want to sell any of them now.

They were and are the best blanks ever built, hand down.

Yes I would have asked :)

I built one that I used for trout fishin had a pretty light tip, used to stack white bucktails that i bought down at Betts in St. Pete, two or three of them about 24" apart I would bump them through the lights on the piers w/ treble trailer on them. I can't remember the blank number though.

Also had one for a 9/0 and one for a 12/0 along with a grouper rod with a 6/0 on it, short little thing #550 maybe.

anyway thats good to hear,

Butch