Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Problem with Blackberry Storm

My suggestion is to see if they will send you a new one.

The new one will be here Monday. I am hoping the tech was wrong about it having problems as well. Verizon has been about as helpful as I can hope....they are at the mercy of Blackberry with the glitches.

On a different note, I am discouraged by so many new electronic devices being released without proper field testing beforehand. It seems the manufacturer would rather have the newest, hottest bling out and risk pissing people off than making sure the bugs are ironed out before it hits the general public. I have gone on BB's website and read about many of the problems experienced by Storm users on their forum, so they have to be aware of what's going on.

I will see how things go when I get the replacement next week.

Well, got the new one and got everything transferred over. In addition to the problems with the old phone, it suddenly stopped ringing...incoming calls were going directly into voicemail.

I just talked to a customer who switched all his office staff over to Storms....he is having the same problem I did originally. Also, I have some other friends with Blackberry Curves with All-Tel, and they are having the same glitches as well.

Blackberry screwed the pooch on this one royally. All this junk happening with BB should be good for I-Phone.

I hope someone from Blackberry is reading this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now the replacement Storm has started acting up. I have a custom ringtone I downloaded and use on specific contacts. It doesn't work when they call. Whenever these people call, the phone doesn't ring at all. Also, when I turn the unit off, I cannot turn it back on. You hit the power on button--nothing happens. I have to pull the battery and reinstall it to turn the damn thing on now.

I just got off the phone with a tech guy at Verizon, and he suggested I wipe the phone and start fresh. I am in the process of doing that now. He also said the software update should be released in mid-May that will correct all these problems.....like I haven't heard that before.

Here's the kicker....Verizon won't send me a different Blackberry....all they will do is send me another storm. I am driving down to spend a little time on the boat this weekend....this POS may end up at the bottom of the bay.

To answer your question, Twentynine, my wife's has performed flawlessly. No problems. But, the tech guy I spoke with said that it is just a matter of time before she does.

Gotta love new technology. <_<

I'd take it back again. See if they will let you have something that works. Something like a phone instead of a blackberry. When I returned mine, I told the customer service rep that I'd had hobbies that were less time consuming than the Storm and I'd had ex-wives that were less trouble. Sounds like you're having more trouble with you storm than I had.

Verizon is sending a new Storm out. I pressed the issue about getting a different Blackberry, and the tech guy said he'd ask his supervisor. He did agree it seemed senseless to keep replacing the Storm.

I need a PDA for work, so a regular cell phone won't do.

Didn't make it to the boat, so at least the one I have will not sleep with the fish.