Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anybody ever buy a boat online from just pictures?

Lotta good deals online. Not enough time to keep running around thousands of miles to keep looking at boats. Is it nuts to just buy one from pictures?

No but the pictures clearly showed what I was looking for. Hull and Engine surveys confirmed the pictures then I booked the flights for sea trial and bank transfer of funds.

Buying a boat based only on sellers pictures is like playing with a loaded gun.

I did the same thing. I saw my boat online and when I was satisfied with what I saw, I then booked a flight, seatrailed and made the deal.

I sold my 2001 sportcraft with 225 opti 5 years ago based on pictures. The guy paid me in full, then he came from Cape Cod and picked it up. I call him once in a while and he still loves the trouble free boat. Last year i sold my Carolina skiff based on pictures also, the people paid me then boat was delivered using u-ship to Orlando Florida. They were also very happy with the skiff.

I agree with the deposit first, then balance on acceptance. getting a survey for big boat or big money is good, but I've bought boats after a sea trial in cases where another guy was interested but he wanted to get a survey before committing. This was a less than 30' boat though, and gas engines or outboards, each time priced right.

I think the survey is a good thing depending on your mechanical skill level. When I purchased my boat I did a compression test on all cylinders, went all over the entier boat with a flashlight and looked at every nook and cranny accessable. Remove hatches, cover plates, etc,,, Also go over all the wiring, look at all the connections and test every system.

With a little diligence and some knowledge a survey isn't always necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not safer to buy boat online. Isn't it a foolish game to buy something online for which you are making such a huge investment. Buying a boat online without going for a boat test is nothing but a foolish job.

I did with my current boat via e-bay and reputable dealer in florida then shipped it up to Rhode Island,,,it all worked out well and was better than described and shown in pictures,,,I have also done this with my current chopper 6 years ago,,,with great results,,,,due diligence,,,,best of luck!!!!

Edited by Lprizman