Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha F225 waterpump ?

Let's try out the new board.... twin 2002 Yamaha F225s with approx 700 hrs. When I bought the boat last spring, I didn't change the water pumps. I quickly noticed that my port engine had a stronger stream than the other. This was confirmed by the round Yamaha gauges on the dash, which would show about 15 psi for the port and 11 psi for the starboard when running. Had no problems overheating, no alarms all season. But I noted the gauges started reading less and eventually didn't register anything by the end of the year. Just assumed the gauges went bad or something.

1. I replaced both pumps this year and launched this weekend. I noted that the tell tale is again stronger with the port engine- it's stream is solid until it hits the water, the other still has a good stream, but breaks up before it hits the water. Starting to think this may be "normal"? Any suggestions or ideas?

2. Gauges are still screwy. Starboard gauge read 10 psi when running, port read nothing. Can you point me in the right direction on how to diagnose/check out the gauges. Would be nice if they worked and gave me some useful info. I don't even know how they work or where they connect at the engine.

Thanks-

Water pressure gages don't come standard on the F225's. They were added as an option. Go to the back of your instrument panel and find the water pressure gages. They'll each have their own nylon tube feeding them. The tubing is 4 mm diameter (about 5/32) and is held on with a brass nut. The first thing you should do is to swap the hoses between the two gages and see if it is actually the water pressure from the engines or the gages that are off. At the engine end, you'll find the same nylon tubing running into the power head area and it usually attaches to a fitting low on the same side of the engine as the controls. But the first step is still finding out if it is the pumps or the gages that are off. As far as the pee stream is concerned, it will vary according to any debris in the plastic nozzle. Stick something small in the hole to clear it out and see if it changes.

Thank you. I really think it's two separate issues. You gave me enough to check out the gauges, and I'll check the nozzle as well. Thanks-
When you did pump did you mean the whole kit or just the impeller? How about the thermostats? theres two on each engine.It would only take a little salt buildup to block it.