Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

carolina skiff

I have an carolina skiff DLV 198 with a 90 e-tic motor. Has anyone had this problem? when I'm in 1 and up waves and choppy water the spray comes inside the boat and gets everyone wet. I fish out of Keaton beach fl. I e-mailed carolina skiff, customer service said no one has had that problem. thanks for any help.

Builder

You are Kidding, right?

I don't care what boat you are in, with the right conditions Every Boat will take on spray. Especially a Flat Bottom Carolina Skiff. Even my 28' Hydra Sports will get spray, you are in the water for god's sake. Would you call ford because while driving down a dirt road some dust came in the window?

DLV isn't flat bottom. It's got the rounded front like to old Whalers had and a shallow V with a single pronounced chine if I remember correctly.

Builder,

There are many factors that can cause spray including if you're heading into or against the waves and how much wind is blowing especially a cross wind. Most of that you can't control depending on the heading you are on. What you can try in different conditions is varying your speed up or down incrementally and trimming up or down just a bit to see how if affects your ride. Trim tabs help a lot of boats "fine tune" the ride especially if you've got uneven side to side weight distribution.

I run a boat with a flared bow and a much deeper V than your DLV. The faster I run in 1'-2' chop the better and typically I'll have to trim my bow down a little depending on the distance between the chop. At least in my boat the worst thing I can do is come off plane and try to ease through chop.

Edited by Sunbury

Builder there is truth to all of the above. Most boats take spray in certain conditions and the angle of running. That said, every CS including the DLV is wet. Low gunnels and little deadrise lend to this but the positive trade off is the ability to run skinny. If you had posed this question before you bought, you would have been told this in volume. I looked at the DLV's for a long time and spent much time on the CS owners site where every owner advised that they are very wet. It is just the deal with that style of hull, this is the con to the pro

Running a boat that gets real skinny means you are going to get wet. It is a trade off but the previous posters are right, you can get wet in almost any boat given the right (wrong) conditions. I run a flats boat and love the freedom it gives me to explore shallow marsh creeks, etc.. but, running across open water, especially in moderate chop can be an adventure.

You are Kidding, right?

I don't care what boat you are in, with the right conditions Every Boat will take on spray. Especially a Flat Bottom Carolina Skiff. Even my 28' Hydra Sports will get spray, you are in the water for god's sake. Would you call ford because while driving down a dirt road some dust came in the window?

you are kidding, ME right. no wonder you have a X_WIFE! If I had a 28' hydra sport Deep V, I would not get wet very much eather.

Thanks to everyone else for the help. I have had tri-hulds, deep V's and never gotten this wet. If I run on plane it's like standing in a 4' wave. I have to go slow so we don't get so wet. It looks like I will have to live with it or get a deep v. also I run with another boat (deep v) and they never got wet, we did. thanks.

You are Kidding, right?

you are kidding, ME right. no wonder you have a X_WIFE! If I had a 28' hydra sport Deep V, I would not get wet very much eather.

WOW,, how many X's do you have? (I have 2, thank god) You apparently have a very thin skin or are having a bad day. I stated the obvious (which was backed up by every other post) and said that I get wet in my H/S. I have owned a few flats boats and they all are wet, some more than others. My Hewes was a very wet boat compared to my Key West Stealth, but it threw water up ust not as much. Point I was making is Every Boat will throw water up. It all depends on the hull and conditions.