Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bottom Paint Removal

Taking delivery of a 28' Hydra Sports and it has been kept on a lift. The owner bottom painted it, not sure why as it is out of the water on the lift, but whatever. Question is what is the best and easiest way to get this stuff off? I figure I will pressure wash the crap out of it and see how much that removes but the idea of getting under it and sanding then waxing it doesn't sound fun.

Any other ideal's.

Agree with Mist. If you do it once you will never do it again. That said, if you don't want to pay for sodablasting, use a commercial stripper and lots of sandpaper with an orbital. I see you plan to just wax afterwards, be advised that before the boat was painted it should have been sanded to take the paint. Thus, your hull will be rough and dull. Most folks who remove bottom paint, have the hull painted with a good marine exterior like Imron.

• 3 weeks later...

OK zThis is how I spent the last 3 days with 3 good helpers myself and my co owner brother in law.

We are now 3/4 finished.

Go Out and have it Soda Blasted I wish I did

Pressure cleaning will damage the gelcoat. I know this for a fact

I have a 24 albemarle which we added a bracket to about 4 years ago. we have owned the boat sionce 1992 it is a 1983 and had bottom paint on and added to it

for the last 30 years. I have scrapped about 40 # of Bottom Paint off we are now sanding off the primer.

The portion of the boat which did not sit in the water is the hardest most diofficult section of paint to remove.

I could be arrested for impersonating a vodville performer

Good luck

I figured it would not be the most fun I have had on a boat. The ideal of having it done is tempting, but would eat into my Electronics, Outrigger (can you believe no outriggers on a boat like this???) and Gear budget. I will porbably leave it alone for awhile and hope the trailer and just plain old wear will take most of it off. Once it gets to the "Really Fugly" half worn off point I will probably go ahead and do the soda blasting/ painting route.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to use that "Peel Away" stripper soon. Check into it, but make sure it is the marine version for bottom paint. Others have used their product but not the correct one and had problems. I watched the video of the guy removing the bottom paint from a sailboat. Put the stuff on, put a pad over it to allow it to work for a couple of hours...no more, then remove the paper cover with a plastic scraper, then finish with a pressure washer, but not too close of course, just use common sense and it should work I was told.

So, when I do this I will try and remember to let you know how it goes.

Soystrip by franmar. It will leave some residue, use a dustless sander connected to a shop vac and and start with the finest grit. I had luck around 240-320 and then worked my way up to ~800/1000. Buff magic, then polish. One factor is how bad they sanded the bottom before applying the paint, I was lucky and they sanding marks came out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, over the last couple of months, have been trying the Peel Away and pressure wash method. Overall, the hard bottom paint was too much for the stripper to work well. It does work, but need to leave on for many hours then remove the membrane paper and pressure off as much as possible. If used stripper again, it would continue to remove the paint, but way too slow and messy. Plus, to get underneath and try to pressure wash and get wet did not sound appealing to me.

So, I ended up hitting the bottom with my air sander and 40 grit, then came back and did the 150 grit with Porter Cable electric and it is now sanded and looking good. Some spots are thin so will re-coat with gel coat this spring and be done with it.

Sanding is a job for sure, full tyvek suit, mask, full face shield and just go to it. Over several weekends finally got it done. Whew!