Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Diesel Power for my new Sport Fisher

I want to buy a 45' Sport Fisher with twin Diesels . What power plants do y'all think I should be looking for/at and WHY.

Also what transmissions should I be looking at ?

If it were me I would only consider CAT as that is my experience level. No matter what was needed in any place throughout the world in the past 5 years I never, not once had a problem getting CAT parts or service. A few times there were problems with the people who did the work but that's another story.

Many of these places were well removed from what anybody I know would call "normal". FWIW these were 3406 mechanical controlled rated at 440 each. I know for fact they will tune much higher but lack of breakdowns was key for the trip.

The transmissions used on the vessel were Reintjes WAF 44's. These never had a problem and while they were rebuilt (planned) mid trip getting parts was not an issue.

Cummins would be my first choice ,cats and older Detroit's are OK IMO . no fan of Volvo or Mann and MTU do to cost of repair and service. you did not say what age your looking at so you choices maybe limited , different makes may offer different option's on engines , limiting you choices

I like ZF gears myself , But most others are good and if buying a used boat or even new you may not have a choice .I don't know of any that would be used in this size range boat I would run from .

what boats and age brackets are you looking at ? Are you even thinking of a glass boat ??

Edited by prowlersfish

Your going to see someone say cummins are better on fuel and and some one say Cat is and so on.

the fact is all engines will be real close . Lets say it takes 600 hp to move your new hull at 20 knots . it will take x amount of fuel for a Cummins to make that 600 hp . It will take the same amount for a Cat to make that same power . there maybe a very slight difference But nothing significant. how you run them is the big factor on fuel burn

IMHO, alot depends on what vintage boat you are looking for and how fast you want to go with both depending on your budget.

I've never been a fan of Volvos but having said that every manufacturer has a dud once in a while. You need to do some research and google some of the diesel specific sites to gain knowledge about a particular make and model.

What is more important is use and maintenance. For example, a well maintained Detroit 2 stroke that is not maxed out on HP with the largest injectors will have a tremendous service life if properly maintained. CAT 3208s have an excellent reputation when not boosted to high HP ratings. etc. MANs have had good and bad years.

Your diesel options will also depend on your budget and the years you are looking at. Unless repowered, boats of that size built in the 90s will likely have Detroits or CATs which were heavy and a bit slower than later models.

A good diesel surveyor will be key.

If you are looking at new, I've heard good things about Cummins.