Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Alloy is the way to go...

I see a lot of advantages to an aluminum alloy boat. Not asking these questions to bash, just trying to learn.

There seem to be areas where "metal boats" are vastly more popular like Alaska, Washington, Maine, etc and other areas where you never see one like the Southeast. Why is that?

I know a lot of folks spend a lot of time and money so they can leave their boats in the water but its a rarity for mine to be more than two nights in the water, especially in the summer. Most of the paints don't seem to last more than a year. With the aluminum allow boat do most of the berthers paint over or do they have to sand off?

Every see any electrolysis issues? I'm thinking about the battery charger or shore power horror stories you hear about from time to time.

Are there any no-nos as far as chemicals? Thinking of bleach on the deck or muriatic acid on the hull. I've read that there's a protective coating that gets applied to the aluminum alloy. So if battery acid is spilled on it and eats it off , how do you "recoat" it?

Ever see a weld bust? I know I'm amazed the joints on my T-top are all intact. Is that a matter of quality or construction design?

I appreciate you taking the time to educate us.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of advantages to an aluminum alloy boat. Not asking these questions to bash, just trying to learn.

There seem to be areas where "metal boats" are vastly more popular like Alaska, Washington, Maine, etc and other areas where you never see one like the Southeast. Why is that?

That is called , The Pacific North West, There are things in the water there that will KILL a boat . Like Dead heads, Rocks, gravel Bars, etc. They also do some Hardcore fishing and Commercial fishing lots of lead, Shrimp Traps, Crab Traps . The weather is also VERY harsh. These conditions are where ALLOY SHINES. ALLOY has all but taken over Australia.

I know a lot of folks spend a lot of time and money so they can leave their boats in the water but its a rarity for mine to be more than two nights in the water, especially in the summer. Most of the paints don't seem to last more than a year. With the aluminum allow boat do most of the berthers paint over or do they have to sand off? All Boats should be hauled out every or so to do maintenance on the hull and repaint if necessary. One does have to use a different paint on Alloy [No COPPER]

Every see any electrolysis issues? I'm thinking about the battery charger or shore power horror stories you hear about from time to time.IF PROPERLY wired and the proper zincs are used there should be no problem and of course the proper MARINE GRADE ALLOY should be used for the entire HULL.

Are there any no-nos as far as chemicals? Thinking of bleach on the deck or muriatic acid on the hull. I've read that there's a protective coating that gets applied to the aluminum alloy. So if battery acid is spilled on it and eats it off , how do you "recoat" it?Acid of any kind is NOT to be used on your alloy boat with our PROPER DIRECTION . Alloy creates its own skin THE SECOND AIR HITS THE RAW MATERIAL this is called OXIDIZATION and it seals the aluminum basically for ever, that is the darker GRAY COLOR you see on unpainted Alloy hulls . You can polish it and apply a clear finish or protectant like NYALIC or SHARKHIDE to keep the pretty finish BUT if the clear coat is rubbed off more has to be applied or it will turn dark.

Ever see a weld bust? I know I'm amazed the joints on my T-top are all intact. Is that a matter of quality or construction design? I have seen cracked welds on the sheet metal hulls , I have not seen one on a Plate boat yet but I'm sure someone has a cracked weld and yes it is a matter of DESIGN and the skill of the welder. Alloy Plate starts at 3/16" thick and up .

I appreciate you taking the time to educate us.

Alloy is not the be all and end all with regard material but it does have a purpose and people need to realize this as it's not a material for everybody or any purpose.

Like the age old discussion re building material, throw a piece of steel, alloy, FG, wood/timber, ferro cement, poly etc into the ocean and first 1) see which one floats :D then 2) check again in 30 years and see what's left of each :unsure: .

Kerry, I agree with you on Alloy is not for everyone but if wood , cement, and glass were so tough don't you think the Military would be using it a little more of it instead of all the metal boats they use today?

And FYI , everything you listed above sinks, some does it faster but they still sink [ Pieces of the above].

Actually, the military uses a lot of fiberglass boats. A whole lot of them :1121_wink: Never known them to use a cement boat, that fad went out a long time ago, but they still have some wood ones too.

The Pacific North West,There are things in the water there that will KILL a boat . Like Dead heads, Rocks, gravel Bars, etc. They also do some Hardcore fishing and Commercial fishing lots of lead, Shrimp Traps, Crab Traps . The weather is also VERY harsh

Dang. There are a lot of dead heads, rocks, gravel bars, oyster bars and such in Georgia, SC and Florida too. And those coral heads in Florida and throughout the Caribbean will take the bottom out of a boat in a flash. We've been known to do some hardcore commercial fishing down south here too. We even use lead, shrimp trawls and crab traps. Get some pretty harsh weather sometimes, just no ice. Hmmm...Wonder how I've made it as a commercial captain for 30 years without an alloy boat?

Edited by Cracker Larry

Actually, the military uses a lot of fiberglass boats. A whole lot of them :1121_wink: Never known them to use a cement boat, that fad went out a long time ago, but they still have some wood ones too.

The Pacific North West,There are things in the water there that will KILL a boat . Like Dead heads, Rocks, gravel Bars, etc. They also do some Hardcore fishing and Commercial fishing lots of lead, Shrimp Traps, Crab Traps . The weather is also VERY harsh

Dang. There are a lot of dead heads, rocks, gravel bars, oyster bars and such in Georgia, SC and Florida too. And those coral heads in Florida and throughout the Caribbean will take the bottom out of a boat in a flash. We've been known to do some hardcore commercial fishing down south here too. We even use lead, shrimp trawls and crab traps. Can you imagine that? Get some pretty harsh weather sometimes, just no ice. Hmmm...Wonder how I've made it as a commercial captain for 30 years without an alloy boat?

Alloy is cold in the winter, hot in the summer and sweats (condensates) like a pig, plus it's noisy as hell. I ain't saying it's all a bad thing, but lets not get too carried away with it :rolleyes: Yall ain't got the market cornered on hazards.

Personally, I think the reason yall use alloy boats up there is you need the heat from the welding machines to stay warm, and it never gets warm enough for epoxy to cure :1992_beer_cheer:

Edited by Cracker Larry

No Larry , it's simple , They take the abuse.

As far as Temps, EVERYTHING adjusts to the ambient temperature while sitting . Now insulation values are different and alloy is a one of the better materials for transferring heat or cold and that is one of the reasons for using alloy for cylinder heads and what not.

Also remember there is a difference in SHEET METAL BOATS and PLATE BOATS . most people and a lot of builders always think of Grandpas 12' aluminum skiff that was riveted together and in there minds THAT is how ALL Aluminum boats are, period.

Hazards, it's obvious some of you have never spent time boating/fishing in the PNW , why do you think they use alloy almost exclusively now and it's not because it's cheaper to build with.

If these work here is some rescue boats from AMF down in New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBYsQvJbVfc

why do you think they use alloy almost exclusively now

I've already told you, it's too cold up there for epoxy to cure :P We beat the crap out of our boats too :471_confused_face:

Just funin' with you Welder, I know that plate alloy is a fine building material, and I'm sure your new boat will be a tough SOB :1992_beer_cheer: I'd like to see some pics of her.

Big honking Diesel with a Jet Drive , I bet it sucks some fuel , but those RESCUE BOATS are run in what ever then need to be run in/on.

If y'all would like to talk to a Rep. from the Company just let me know , he is a member of my forum . They do a bunch of beach launching down there and you should see some of their Trailers , the boats can be launched Bow first and while the boat is out they put the Trailer tongue on the other end to Recover the boat . They got their poop in a group down there for sure.