Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Why low & high water pickups F250 TLR lower unit

I am trying to figure out the reason that it has a low and seperate normal hight water pickup? I was replacing my stainless plate under the pump and noticed the plate has two seperate openings? The water passage is divided from the base of the impeller to the low front of foot pickup. as is the normal pickup divided and kept seperate, Why? If it is for low water use why is the normal height pickup still there? We know if you were to only feed water at one height pickup and the other is exposed to air the pump will chose the easiest supply,AIR. and burn up the impeller and over heat the engine? Why did they put two seperate & differenty pickup heights on it?

Bly,

Have you contacted CS at Yamaha? I'd say they are the ones who can really tell you how and why it is configured the way it is. I'm sure Andy has a good idea. Remember, this is a bass boat motor LU, so that would explain a lot of things.

Bly,

Have you contacted CS at Yamaha? I'd say they are the ones who can really tell you how and why it is configured the way it is. I'm sure Andy has a good idea. Remember, this is a bass boat motor LU, so that would explain a lot of things.

The sport f225 is a bass boat motor using this lower unit. but all the new F250s are using this lower unit now also from what I can find out.