Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

F250 service

Break in service. I changed engine oil and filter, removed spark plugs and checked the gap on them, Lower unit oil, removed the prop checked for line around prop shaft greased prop shaft and retorqued prop nut, greased all fittings ran the engine on hose and checked for fuel and water leaks. Also check the on engine fuel filter for trash or water. The service manual actually says this service is to be at 10 hrs but the owners manual and the dealer that sold me the boat said 20 hrs so that is what i done.

DO NOT RUN YOUR F250 ON THE HOSE!!!! It will burn up your water pump, ask me how I know. The problem is the front mounted water inlet sucks in too much air and even with good dual feed muffs the water pump will overheat. I just had to change mine out and it got hot enough to melt the water pump housing which I also had to replace.

I had the shop do my ten hour service because I had a couple minor warranty repairs to get taken care of but I had the oil changed, gear oil changed, and a general inspection of the engine like the book says. Since I had to change the water pump because of my fault, I just went ahead and changed the oil, plugs and gear oil again at 75 hours. By the way, changing the oil filter on an F250 can be messy.

Get out there and put 20 hours on that sucker then do a service on her . Piece of cake . When changing oil remember you can TILT and TURN the motor to help with the FILTER change.

I do my BF225 and spill maybe one drop on to a towel . I tiltmotor up and turned so my filter is almost vertical.

I picked up a large galvanized barrel from a farm store that I use now to run my motor in just to be on the safe side. I think the trick on the oil filter on the F250 is to remove the engine mounted fuel filter which I did not do this time. That makes it easier to pull the filter straight out. But everything is a learning exercise.