Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fishing log

I have tried several computer based log books and keep going back to a paper based log. Several reasons:

- Laptop screens are hard to see on the water

- Laptop gets trashed after a year

- Keep the computer log at home, then you need notes at sea

- Log book on board is a handy reference while on the water

While the computer based logs are REALLY nice and feature loaded, I just found that I don't use it as often as I should and that I need a paper log book to record data for the computer log anyway.

Here is mine, formated for unruled 5x8 index cards.

Oops, its too big. I will make is smaller and re post

Every year a company I do business with sends me a daily planner. Its 8 1/2" by 11", and each month has two pages dedicated to it. Gives me about two inches square for each day's notes. All I typically record is temps (air and water surface), winds, areas I fished, and results. (Don't need much room for results, but thats another story). Works great for me, and it's cheap! Looking at them from the previous years before a trip gives me an idea where things were happening, and sometimes gives me a little confidence boost.

Good luck.