Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

repower advice

I want to repower my boat before I put it back in the water this spring. Does anyone here have experience with a repower? I am interested in getting some input.

My boat is a 1992 Proline 260 Walk with a single bracket. Right now it has a Yamaha 225 2 stroke. The boat’s data plate says it can handle 250 hp.

I am thinking about getting a 4 stroke, probably a Yamaha 250.

Is there any guidance out there? Anything not obvious that I should be aware of?

I am not real familiar with the 4 strokes but the main thing you need to watch is weight. As was mentioned if you add more to the rear you should move weight forward. I think the 4 strokes are heavier than the two stroke so you would have to go by weight and not hp rating. When that rating was applied there were no 4 stroke outboards.

Rick

I went from a single 200 HP 2 stroke to a 200 HP Honda on my last boat with no problem. I don't know what you weigh, but this is what my mechanic and I did to see if my boat would handle the extra weight of the Honda. I weigh about 185lbs which was the difference in weight of the two motors. I stood on my transom to see how the added weight would affect the way the boat sat in the water. My boats waterline did not change at all. We checked with the manufacturer to be sure the transom could hold the weight of the Honda and from there we went forward with the project. We didn't have to move the fuel tank in my boat though in some maybe you will. Good luck with the change.

For that size boat it "should" be OK, but I lean with Rick and would approach it with caution and knowledgeable advise. When that boat was built, 4 stroke motors that outweighed their 2 stroke counterparts by 200 lbs were unknown. Transoms tended to be lower also back then. The other concern would be the condition of the transom, since it's almost 20 years old it's probably not as strong as if it were new. Can you post a picture of the transom?

Dont take this the wrong way, but standing on the transom while your not moving is a little different than being offshore in ruff seas while underway,,,,,,ya know.

Point taken. The boat will ride differently with the four stroke because of the added weight. I should have clarified why I stood on the transom. It was to make sure my scuppers stayed above the waterline. I noticed the difference when in a following sea . As I said we did check with the manufacturer to be sure the hull could take the weight of the new engine.

Ok. Thanks. I need to be concerned about weight and balance. I have the owner’s manual for the engine (somewhere) and I’ll dig it out and see what my current engine weighs.

Also, I’ll get some pictures posted this week. I have to work this week and I’ll see when I can get home early enough to take pictures.