Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Minumum Deadrise for Next CC

I'm in the market for a late model 21-22' CC. Most of the use will be inshore/ICW/around inlet jetties due to sea conditions. I do want to be be able to go out 25 miles when conditons warrant.

I've looked into a Sea Hunt Triton 220 with 18 degree and Sailfish 218 which is variable 22-24 degree. I understand the trade-off between stability and rolling when bottom fishing. Is 18 enough for a relatively comfortable run in "real" 2-3' seas? I know it depends on wave period, but I have never been out that far in a boat this size. Smallest I've been out that far in was a 26' Pursuit with twins (thanks Mike).

The flipside is that I like to fish shallow water now and then which would also favor the lower deadrise. I think my problem is that I need 2 boats!

I have the Parker 23se with 14 degree deadrise. It is great for how i fish - mostly inside of 25 miles. In 2-3 she is fine tabbed down, you just have to slow down. the boat can take it going faster with no problem but I cant and dont want to.

What i like is the ability to have the boat for scooting to the sandbars with the girls, bottom fishing is great since it is stable, trolling is a breeze, but i dont want to make long runs to the stream unless it is one of those "1-2, light and variable" days.

Now that I am in my 50's I would rather just pay someone and go on their 45 footer if I am going to blue water.

I have the Parker 23se with 14 degree deadrise. It is great for how i fish - mostly inside of 25 miles. .....

.......Now that I am in my 50's I would rather just pay someone and go on their 45 footer if I am going to blue water.

:605_thumbs_up:

Now there's a guy with a great boat and some smarts !!!

Welcome Aboard "Chubs" ! :1992_beer_cheer:

:239_fishing:

I have the Parker 23se with 14 degree deadrise. It is great for how i fish - mostly inside of 25 miles. In 2-3 she is fine tabbed down, you just have to slow down. the boat can take it going faster with no problem but I cant and dont want to.

What i like is the ability to have the boat for scooting to the sandbars with the girls, bottom fishing is great since it is stable, trolling is a breeze, but i dont want to make long runs to the stream unless it is one of those "1-2, light and variable" days.

Now that I am in my 50's I would rather just pay someone and go on their 45 footer if I am going to blue water.

I'm 48 and know what you mean. I mentioned 2-3' above because even if I limit my offshore days to reports of 1-2' w/variable winds, you never know what you're going to run into. I've never had a boat that was truly capable of getting 25 miles out safely and it is something I want to experience at this stage in my life. Most use will be inshore east Central Florida with the occasional offshore trip.

I may look at a 2006 Sailfish 218 with an F150 this evening. 320 hours, indoor rack stored since new. Appears well cared for based on pictures. I should be able to get it for $25k. It is probably my limit in terms of draft and deadrise. If the deal is good enough and it doesn't meet my needs, I can always sell without taking a hit. The only problem I can see is fishing the shallow waters in the area. I'm not really hard core with any type of fishing. I'm just as happy fishing around the jetties at Ponce Inlet and Port Canaveral as I am in Mosquito Lagoon which is very shallow. As long as I'm on the water and feeling a tug!

I dont want to go offshore in a boat with less than a 22 degree deadrise at the transom but I have been spoiled by boats with lots of deadrise. If being a little tippier is an issue, drop anchor or get a drift sock to keep the bow into the waves. Dramamine is also an excellent option :) What good is a stable platform if you dont wat to go out anytime its a little rough? Put it this way, I have never been beat up in an anchored or drifting boat. I have been beat to death in a few boats during the run in and out.