Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anchor chain

Going to increase the length of my chain. Please don't yank it.

Boat is a 23' Trophy WA. Total weight with gas ass and grass probably about 5,000lbs max.

I figure about 15' to 20' total chain length oughta be good. But what link size should I go with for my boat? I don't have a windlass or anything fancy.

Thoughts?

Going to rig my anchor for easier breakaway in case it gets hung on a reef or wreck, while I'm at it.

I had issues getting my anchor to set and I recall a post on a once grand site where several folks recommended the chain be as long as the boat. I did that and have never had another issue. Most times when I anchor, I am in 20 foot of water, and it is moving fast. My chain is 3/8"

Sea Pro SV2300 Bay Boat.

Okay I'll look at some 5/16" or the next size up. I'm leaning towards 20' of chain. Right now, though, its only got about 4'. I rarely have a problem with it holding, but sometimes it doesn't set easy.

Most of the time I'm in water 40' or less, with probably 70% of my anchored time in less than 20'. I'd like to be able to anchor in deeper water with ease.

I just got the 30-50% notice from boater's world, so I'm off to there this weekend to get chain, a new backup anchor, and some other goodies.....

:2261_high:

Okay I'll look at some 5/16" or the next size up. I'm leaning towards 20' of chain. Right now, though, its only got about 4'. I rarely have a problem with it holding, but sometimes it doesn't set easy.

Most of the time I'm in water 40' or less, with probably 70% of my anchored time in less than 20'. I'd like to be able to anchor in deeper water with ease.

I just got the 30-50% notice from boater's world, so I'm off to there this weekend to get chain, a new backup anchor, and some other goodies.....

:2261_high:

Just get 200 feet and you can give me the left over

:lol:

Anchor Rode Guide

BOAT SIZE                                        ANCHOR RODE
  Length (ft)   Weight (lbs)      Chain (dia.-inch)      Nylon (dia.-inch)    Length (ft)

20-25            2,500               3/16                    7/16              90
  26-30            5,000               1/4                     7/16             135
  31-35           10,000               5/16                    1/2              190
  36-40           15,000               3/8                     9/16             225
  41-45           20,000               7/16                    5/8              240
  46-50           30,000               1/2                    11/16             315
  51-60           50,000               9/16                    3/4              360

the anchoring is all about the chain i use 30 ft of half inch that allows me to anchor in 600 ft of water with 1100 ft of rope. The longer chain changes the direction of the pull from the rope. The anchor is attached to the ball like a mooring and the boat is tied to the ball this reduces the wave action on the anchor.

Youll also want the ball to retrieve it

The more chain the better the hold

Just be carefull setting it out not to go to fast that the chain gets to the bottom first or it won't set

I'm a diver, so I get to see my anchor rode on every dive. It is also usually windy. I always want to see a low angle between the anchor and the chain. The chain makes the pull parallel to the bottom instead of trying to lift the anchor. The weight of the chain is important, but so is the length. I'd rather have a lighter, long chain than a heavy short one.

The line size is more a function of what you can grab and pull easily. The line seldom breaks, but you do have to be able to get a good grip on it.