Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boating Print Magazine

wiley

This is typical of nearly all of the print media that are struggling to survive. They just haven't figured out a way to profit from the internet.

Boating Magazine is part of the Bonnier Marine Group that dominates the boat magazine business with other publications like Motorboating, Boating Life, Cruising World, Marlin, Saltwater Sportsman, Sportfishing and Yachting.

The magazines are thinner and they have fewer staff writers as they rely more on cheaper freelancers.

Who knows, they may dissappear entirely leaving internet only sites like Boat Test and Mad Mariner, although I think there is room for both.

There was a magazine "Center Console Angler" which bit the dust last year I believe. I thought it was a really good magazine. Obviously it catered to the "smaller" fishing boat owner/enthusiast.

The Barnes and Noble by me carries a few Australian fishing magazines which I look over in the store, seems that most of their reviews and fishing articles revolve around smaller aluminum boats. Those aussie mags are at least double the thickness of the SWS/Sportfishing mags here, and the quality of the photos are amazing as well as the articles.

Internet/recession has definetly killed off many of the mags, but we still need reading material for the porcelan office.

Scott

Waiting for the wife at the grocery store I went to the mag rack and grabbed a magazine called "Boating".

In my hand it felt more like a calendar than a magazine ... Very thin ... couldn't have had 40 pages in it.

Are other boating mags like this?

Waiting for the wife at the grocery store I went to the mag rack and grabbed a magazine called "Boating".

In my hand it felt more like a calendar than a magazine ... Very thin ... couldn't have had 40 pages in it.

Perhaps more to the point: They give away subscriptions to this at all the boat shows. They are pretty good at not cancelling either after the trial. Salt Water Fisherman, Boating, Ski, and a few others seem to be the most obvious. I think there is a cruising mag and one other super-boat mag.

Had been getting Trailer Boats Magazine for 20+ years. Stopped it as got way to thin and took out Tow car and Trailering part. Now I onyy get Pacific Coast Sport Fishing, Western Outdoor News and Fish Sniffer. Cancelled Sport Fishing and Salt Water Sportsman when they took out Fishing Tips section.