Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Chartplotter app for Iphone 4

I was wondering if any forum members have downloaded iNavX Marine Navigation By GPSNavX on there iPhone 4 and use it for plotting out for the day/night..

I was thinking about buying the app ($49.95) and this would be used as my secondary chart plotter for my ROBALO and could also use it on our flats boat in the river. Thinking this way running the river at night in the flats boat in order to hit those spots before dawn 10 miles from the island (PoPs lives on a island and only way to get there is by is by boat), I know the waters fairly good as been there 30+ years but would go out more if it takes the worry out of running aground by missing a marker. The other idea is marking those uncharted holes that will be holding fish in the winter when they stack up in those deep holes. Also it would give me the option to mark out a fishing plan say in the keys on it .

Any Ideas or recommendations on others would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about the app, but I do know that the Iphone is hydrophobic. Get one drop of rain or spray down the little hole in the top of the phone and it's toast. The first thing the techs at the Apple Store do when you bring and Iphone in for repair or replacement is inspect the phone for water intrusion. If you get it wet they will not replace the phone. If you use one on the boat, put it in a plastic baggie.

Well I came across the idea when I saw a app ad . I am in the middle of a complete restoration on my 1969 original 19" ROBALO :1946_headbanging: and using our other 2 boats that have no electronics. I realize I can't get it wet and would sew a waterproof case with isinglass front and Velcro bottom (and call forward my calls to the wifes phone)like I did when the hand held G P S's first came out. PoPs lives on the island in Grant :2403_worshipper: and since the last hurricane rolled through there all the holes we fished for 30 something years must have been filled in. :1898_: While I have the other boats to explore neither the pontoon or 17 Twin Vee have electronics as we use them for taxiing us to the mainland and fishing the area within about 10 miles. I though that if the wife and I started trolling around in grid patterns we could pinpoint some good bottom for winter fishing :239_fishing: as well as running the river at nigh which I do now but it would be easier to jump in the boat and head to Capt Harrams for dinner and have the chart plotter take me home without having to worry about the crab pots all over. :753_hammer_hitting_head: Don't get me wrong I use to run the river to Ft.Pierce at night before a tournament but this would be a lot safer even though I don't drink. :1992_beer_cheer: It was just food for thought and I KNOW it won't replace a chart plotter but it would be a good back-up just like a hand held VHF. I guess too much thinking when I am at home in the condo and nothing to do. :504_shrugging: