Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Replacing Fuel Hose

Boat is 11 y/o now, and after years of ethanol in fuel, looks like the (fuel) hoses/lines are starting to get brittle.

Boat is a Parker 18SE. The only access to the fuel filler/vent lines are through the deck plate covers (8" ?) and the top of the rigging tube under the gunnel near the fuel cap.

I know it is going to be a b*tch to pull the old hoses and also pull the new stuff thru, even though it is not a great distance.

Has anyone tackled this by themselves?, any tips or suggestions?, or should I leave this to the pros?. There is very limited access to the hoses, but I really do not want the deck cut open.

Any advise would be appreciated.

THX Scott

If a pro can do it, you probably can too :D I'd first try using the old hose to pull the new one. Connect them end to end with a hose barb splice fitting

21scw-%2BZ%2BOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lubricate the hose, I usually use Armor-All. Have one person pulling while one person pushes. If this doesn't work, run a stiff piece of wire through the chase, tape it to the hose for about 12" and use it to pull it through. Again, one person pushing, one pulling. If that doesn't work, you're probably screwed :504_shrugging:

You probably won't find a barb/bard in 1.5" for the fill hose. I cut a piece of dowel (curtain rod stock) and screwed it in the hose. It was still way too much pushing and pulling, but it worked. Pull the hatch off the tank if you can ... :1121_wink:

I actually did find a 1.5 barbed coupler at my local plumbing supply. Cost me $ 1.20

The only access I have to the tank is through the small deck plates located above the hose fittings. There will be alot of pushing and pulling....

Wish me luck...

THX Scott

Guest edgewater225

You can do it yourself, but make sure you have a full box of curse words handy. You'll use them all and then have to borrow a few.

I replaced the fuel lines on my EdgeWater last summer. That was easy compared to what you have to do. Good luck.

Bill

You probably won't find a barb/bard in 1.5" for the fill hose. I cut a piece of dowel (curtain rod stock) and screwed it in the hose. It was still way too much pushing and pulling, but it worked. Pull the hatch off the tank if you can ... :1121_wink:

I actually did find a 1.5 barbed coupler at my local plumbing supply. Cost me $ 1.20

The only access I have to the tank is through the small deck plates located above the hose fittings. There will be alot of pushing and pulling....

Wish me luck...

THX Scott

Great idea with the hose barb. I was going to tape string to the hose, with my luck the string will get chafed and break...

THX

Scott

NEVER use string to pull with , string will cut other hoses and wires, use a coated wire like #12 stranded, the plastic coating will NOT CUT other stuff in your chase.

And don't for get to pull in another piece of pull wire when using the one you left in there for future pulls.

As said above ^^^^use a helper so the both of you can push and pull at the same time .

Good luck.

If you have the space put in a few inches of slack. Sometimes the ends will deteriorate slightly and you may have leaks or air may get into the line. If you are havng trouble "out there" and suspect the fuel line you can trim the 'split-ends' and be on your way. You can also use this procedure if your pre-trip inspection makes you wonder about the connectons.

Good luck!