Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Outboard rigging experts

Hi guys and girls ,I'm new to the site but have been a "quiet" long time member of tht. I never posted this question over there but I feel some of the experts on this site can steer me in the right direction. I'll try to keep this post as short as poss,and if you have any Q's as to why I did or didnt do something I'll answer as they are asked.

Background: custom ordered a boat from a major boat Mfg. This is an inshore/lake boat 20.5' ,fiberglass,powered by a 250 Verado,and a 9.9merc kicker.Spared no expense ,top of the line locators -trolling mtr ,and almost every option avail.

Problem: The factory mounted my Verado crooked. I first noticed it about a week after taking delivery.

#1 contacted The Mfg and they first told me there was no way it could be mounted crooked due to the template they use to drill the holes. My response was all it takes is a bit of crud to get in between the template and the hull and now the holes are off. Factory rigging expert told me that was impossible.Told me to take it to the dealer and have him look at it. Dealer agreed with the factory until he saw the boat and then agreed it was mounted crooked.

Fixx??? Brought the boat into the dealer and they called the factory and the factory still did not believe it was crooked ,so I emailed pics to the factory >>>nope just an optical illusion. Had the head tech called the factory and told them "this motor is mounted crooked" answer... Doubt it but if it is so what it wount hurt any thing.

Next I emailed the factory with the problem ,not just the head of rigging but every high up guy I could find .I wanted the boat to go back to the factory for the fix.

Answer: best they will do is send a template ,some form of epoxy and some fiberglass dowl rod and have the dealer fix it .

I like this dealer but I know what they need to do to fix this and I just dont know if I want them to attempt this.

will a crooked/tilted motor cause running issues? BTW its tilted top to port bottom to starbord.I put it on my frame machine at my shop and shot a lazer down the centerline of the hull , when trimmed down the skeg is 1.75" off center.

I have pics on another computer if anyone is interested

Opinions please

Dave

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys and girls ,I'm new to the site but have been a "quiet" long time member of tht. I never posted this question over there but I feel some of the experts on this site can steer me in the right direction. I'll try to keep this post as short as poss,and if you have any Q's as to why I did or didnt do something I'll answer as they are asked.

Background: custom ordered a boat from a major boat Mfg. This is an inshore/lake boat 20.5' ,fiberglass,powered by a 250 Verado,and a 9.9merc kicker.Spared no expense ,top of the line locators -trolling mtr ,and almost every option avail.

Problem: The factory mounted my Verado crooked. I first noticed it about a week after taking delivery.

#1 contacted The Mfg and they first told me there was no way it could be mounted crooked due to the template they use to drill the holes. My response was all it takes is a bit of crud to get in between the template and the hull and now the holes are off. Factory rigging expert told me that was impossible.Told me to take it to the dealer and have him look at it. Dealer agreed with the factory until he saw the boat and then agreed it was mounted crooked.

Fixx??? Brought the boat into the dealer and they called the factory and the factory still did not believe it was crooked ,so I emailed pics to the factory >>>nope just an optical illusion. Had the head tech called the factory and told them "this motor is mounted crooked" answer... Doubt it but if it is so what it wount hurt any thing.

Next I emailed the factory with the problem ,not just the head of rigging but every high up guy I could find .I wanted the boat to go back to the factory for the fix.

Answer: best they will do is send a template ,some form of epoxy and some fiberglass dowl rod and have the dealer fix it .

I like this dealer but I know what they need to do to fix this and I just dont know if I want them to attempt this.

will a crooked/tilted motor cause running issues? BTW its tilted top to port bottom to starbord.I put it on my frame machine at my shop and shot a lazer down the centerline of the hull , when trimmed down the skeg is 1.75" off center.

I have pics on another computer if anyone is interested

Opinions please

Dave

post-8067-12784482679_thumb.jpg

post-8067-127844829557_thumb.jpg

Part of my job for the past 16 years is hanging and rigging motors, including Vrods. There is only one explanation. The jig that is used to drill the mounting holes was mounted crooked, either it slipped because it wasn't clamped tight enough, or the rigger simply effed up. Regardless, the motor is crooked, plain and simple.

The fix? Tell the dealer you want the motor pulled, the holes glassed and re-finished, and the motor hung properly...no ifs, ands, or buts.

I've hung and rigged over 2,000 motors in my life, that's BS!

Edited by 250 Osprey

BTW, born in Chicago Heights, raised in Olympia Fields. My Mom grew up a couple of blocks from Mayor Daley's bungalow in Bridgeport. Just down 35th from Comiskey...yeah, I'm a Sox fan!

Edited by 250 Osprey

BTW, born in Chicago Heights, raised in Olympia Fields. My Mom grew up a couple of blocks from Mayor Daley's bungalow in Bridgeport. Just down 35th from Comiskey...yeah, I'm a Sox fan!

Im in new lenox not far from the heights or O.F. Sox fan too BUT how bout them HAWKS !!!!!

Im in new lenox not far from the heights or O.F. Sox fan too BUT how bout them HAWKS !!!!!

Used to go to the Stadium when Makita and Bobby and Glenn, and of course Tony in goal...man that was fun! Kieth Magnuson, remember him?

Played ball at Rich Central, we used to play non-conf games at Romeoville, Lockport, Joliet Central and Catholic, Plano...boy, that was a few years ago...graduated '78.

Take my advice on the Vrod F-up. Tell them to fix it! :605_thumbs_up:

Used to go to the Stadium when Makita and Bobby and Glenn, and of course Tony in goal...man that was fun! Kieth Magnuson, remember him?

Played ball at Rich Central, we used to play non-conf games at Romeoville, Lockport, Joliet Central and Catholic, Plano...boy, that was a few years ago...graduated '78.

Take my advice on the Vrod F-up. Tell them to fix it! :605_thumbs_up:

Here's a quick story 4 u. I met a guy through a friend of mine ,He's like the "real" most interesing man in the world like in the dos XX beer commercials. Were at the Chop house in downtown Chicago and his best friend /body guard Eddie who was an x hockey plyr is telling me about how "they" all get together at some italian joint once a month . Bobby,Stan,Tony and Bobby Orr to name a few . I tell him I played hockey in hs and got a ride to play in college but couldnt due to my class load. I grew up dreaming about these guys . Next thing I know he hands me his cell phone and I hear hellow ,hi whats up not much BLA BLA BLA I'm confused ,so I hand the phone back ,Eddie gets on and says Hey bobby I thought this punk would get a kick out of talkin to you but he's too stupid to hold a conversation,I'll talk to you later. While all this is goin on Fritz takes off his pants and proceedes to show all the hot ladies in the room his legs. He bet em all he had better legs than any of them . He won and got big kisses from all inc. my wife.

Fritz IMO is the most colorful man I have ever met .He runs all the Miller beer sales in Chicago and his "job" is to party every night He travels with Eddie and a driver and goes through a full bottle of Grey Goose a night. He is the center of attention where ever he goes and even though he's in his mid sixtys he manages to woo beautiful women half his age.

I was lucky enough to be invited by Fritz into Rockys box at the united center 2 seasons ago and met Mr hull,Mr, Makita and a few other idols of mine . Someting I will never forget.

Yes I remember #3 sad way for a legend to die

Never knew about Kieth's death, as I lost interest in hockey once I moved down here (1981). Indeed sad, and tragic.

Just had another member PM me about Chicago Heights, he went to Bloom HS. Small ass world, isn't it?

Never knew about Kieth's death, as I lost interest in hockey once I moved down here (1981). Indeed sad, and tragic.

Just had another member PM me about Chicago Heights, he went to Bloom HS. Small ass world, isn't it?

If I remember correctly he was leaving the funeral of another hockey legend somewhere up in canada and was killed in a car crash. Very sad.

Small ass world indeed!