Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Etec 200 (60degree) or 200H.O.(90degree)

I've got a Kencraft 215 (with amrstrong bracket) and thinking about repower. It currently has a F225 that weighs 580#. I would love to repower with a much lighter two stroke. I've been eying the 418# Etec 200 (60 degree). Is the 60 degree designed for heavy boats or would I be better off with the much heavier 90 degree 200 or 225?

Gary

I've got a Kencraft 215 . I've been eying the 418# Etec 200 (60 degree). Is the 60 degree designed for heavy boats or would I be better off with the much heavier 90 degree 200 or 225?

Gary

You would be a lot happier with the 200HO-225-250 90° block. They have so much more torque in the midrange than the 60° motor and will make running in a following sea a lot nicer, especially when you are loaded down with fuel, ice, people, and gear.

• 2 weeks later...

i own a 2150 bluewater with a 90 degree 200 e-tec. i would recommend it, with the heaver boat. it has plenty of torque . the big block is the way to go

I have the same setup and couldn't agree more. I almost went with the smallblock 200 and am glad I went with the HO. The boat performs well with it. kennyb I would love to see pics of your boat. Here is a pic of my rude.

Bluewater2150017.jpg

I've got a Kencraft 215 (with amrstrong bracket) and thinking about repower. It currently has a F225 that weighs 580#. I would love to repower with a much lighter two stroke. I've been eying the 418# Etec 200 (60 degree). Is the 60 degree designed for heavy boats or would I be better off with the much heavier 90 degree 200 or 225?

Gary

If you are going with an ETEC big block why get a 225? go for the 250. I quess the 250 might be about the same weight as the 225? But the F225 you have is a great motor and I personally would not swap it out just to save 100 lbs or so. Did you know the new F300's weight about 40 lbs less than the F250 and I assume your F225 too? The F300 seems irresistable to me.

Back in '06 at our dealer meeting at The Vinoy, we had a new 23 Sport with a 200 small block Etec on it. Couple of dealers took her out early, came back bitchin' up a storm that she was a dog. That didn't sit well with our Evinrude field engineer, Mike Moon. I yanked her out, he found a dealer clear across Pinellas off Ulmerton that had a 200 HO, we drove over there, swapped out the motor, drove back, rounded up the same 2 dealers, and they said it was a HUGE difference.

That was a fun 4 hours, in 95 degree July weather, hauling ass to get that motor swapped, hung it with a fork lift and chain. And that was 4 hours, there and back...

Edited by 250 Osprey

If you are going with an ETEC big block why get a 225? go for the 250. I quess the 250 might be about the same weight as the 225? But the F225 you have is a great motor and I personally would not swap it out just to save 100 lbs or so. Did you know the new F300's weight about 40 lbs less than the F250 and I assume your F225 too? The F300 seems irresistable to me.

The F225 runs good, but it just seems anemic to me. It's got low hours, but it's 8 years old. In the shape it's in I'm hoping to get a decent trade/sale price for it. 100# may not seem like much, but I would be willing to bet sitting out on that 36" braket it will make a difference.