Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Am/FM Band separator ??

In April's Boating Magazine there is a recommendation to improve AM/FM reception by using a product from Skakespeare. The product is #4357-S AM/FM/VHF marine band separator. Does anyone us this and is there an improvement? While you are at it I welcome other ideas. I live in South Florida, so there is plenty to choose from. I am ready to go satellite radio!

Thanks.

In April's Boating Magazine there is a recommendation to improve AM/FM reception by using a product from Skakespeare. The product is #4357-S AM/FM/VHF marine band separator. Does anyone us this and is there an improvement? While you are at it I welcome other ideas. I live in South Florida, so there is plenty to choose from. I am ready to go satellite radio!

Thanks.

What that allows you to do is one vhf antenna for both am/fm and vhf. I have one and it works great. Relieves you of having to mount a separate am/fm antenna.

Thanks.

I had it on my first boat and it worked great... but when installed on the second one, gave me some trouble...

Basically, if I had the stereo on, and tried to transmit on the VHF, the stereo would suddenly shutdown until i release the mic....

Just that.. I checked both equipment grounds and it was fine.. the only common connection was the 4357

I use a different brand of the same product all the time for high power VHF systems when we install undercover antennas on unmarked law enforcement vehicles and have never had a problem. We fully test each installation and haven't seen any marked reduction in output power or reception quality while using them. Based on price, I imagine that the products are of the same quality (if not the exact same with different branding). I would recommend them.

So, ... I should see a good improvement in my reception?

Thanks again.

Probably. Or at least it's not likely to get worse. I have this product myself and am happy with it. It has been discussed several times on "another forum" and most users are happy with it.

Assuming your antenna is properly tuned and mounted, the most significant thing you can do to improve performance is increase the height. Get a longer antenna or mount it higher.

If that doesn't help then you should talk with a technician who can verify your installation is correct. They can also make sure there is nothing to interfere with your gear.

That's all I think I know about that! Good luck!

My first boat had one of the Shakespeare band separators on it for the single, rail-mounted 8 foot antenna. Performance was so-so.

For example, my favorite station was broadcasting at 50,000 watts then, and the signal would fade out as I got close to the coast in the truck, then I could listen in mono for few miles off the coast. Strong stations were OK to about twenty miles out.

Upgrade was to mount two antennas on the T-top, and for the AM/FM, I installed the Digital Antenna 4-foot model. Put the band separator on the shelf.

After this upgrade, I could get that favorite station in clear stereo at 30 miles out, and listen in mono at 45 miles. Picked up out-of-town stations everywhere. AM was superb, never a problem, except if lightning was in the area.

I never noticed a difference in the VHF side, but I never had to issue an SOS.

So, the question is one less hole in the boat and save about $30, or have totally satisfying listening pleasure and a dedicated antenna for the tunes, on a quality product that lasts for years.

(Cut that hole!) :239_fishing: