Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Grilling On Board

I am considering a small grille for the boat this year. Probably a rod holder mounted one.It will not be used every time I go out but maybe a few times this year so I don't want to spend a small fortune on one.

Storage space is at a premium and I don't want something that will be rattling around in the hold all day and end up falling apart in short order.

Who has what, how do you like it? How do you store it and all the usual questions that go along with.

I had the West Marine Magma Newport back in the day w\ the rod holder mount, and I was very pleased with it.

I'd definately spring for the Magma Catalina next time just for the rack and additional grilling area.

I would only make one recommendation; Get the optional tray that sits on the front of the grill (VERY handy).

Other than that, have an extra propane canister onboard for backup and enjoy the boating / grilling season!

Chris

I have the round magma in the rodholder as well. Its a nice little setup, but same as above, I should have sprung for the larger one. All in all, its a great thing to have on board.

Ditto. I have not used it all that much. Hot brauts while fishing on the hook in the Columbia can take some of the boredom out of sitting with no bites. I've never dumped brauts overboard but I can see how that might happen when a big Chinook takes the kwickie.

Same here. Have the round rod holder mount. Stores nicely in a very tight canvas sack. We only use ours at the dock, so it stays in the dockbox. I would think it would be awfully noisy, rattling around in storage somewhere.

It gets very hot, very quickly which is great for steaks, but if there is a little wind, it is difficult to keep burning consistently low enough for chicken.

Just like the previous posters, I would go for the bigger model with more adjacent work area next time.

I have a brand new one and don't think that I will get to use it (selling my boat).

It's the Magma Newport with rod holder. I was really looking forward to using it too.

:1992_beer_cheer:

Sooooo..... if you will nto use it, maybe you might give a brotha boater a good deal?

I have a 17" Magma round party size and I carry a 5gal propane fiberglass tank. Works great and I can see through the tank to see how much fuel I have left. It's sometimes a pain to keep it from moving around in the rod holder and to keep it level.