Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Newer Seacrafts: Quality

Hello, my name is Andy. This is my first post to reelboating.

I'm currently looking for a new boat. I would like something in the 22-23' range, center console, open cockpit with NO forward seating but a small platform would be fine. Would also like newer power and I'm looking to spend about 30K or less.

I ran across a 2000 23' seacraft with a 2007 225hp Suzuki 4-stroke which fits the bill nicely. I know the elder seacrafts are legendary but I've heard mixed review about the newer models via the internet, however I'm not sure how much is just normal internet banter. Has anyone had any direct experience with the particular vintage I'm considering, any opinions?

Oh, if you have any other leads you are willing to share about some boats fitting my general description I'd be happy to have you forward them my way.

Thanks

Hey Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

I used to belong to a forum where I think you may get a bit more insight with your questions / concerns.

ClassicSeacraft.com

Granted, they may be a little biased, most owning Potter Hulls, but I'm sure they can really steer you in the right direction.

Another link I found, and I hope I don't get lynched for posting this, that may also help you in your search for a boat is here Just a link about boats

I, myself, would try to get a 23' Bluewater, but that may be a touch away from your price range, even used.

Anyhow, I hope this helps!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

There are not a lot of fans of the newer hulls on Classic Seacraft .com. I have a 1998 23' center console with twin merc efi 150s and love it! I bought the boat used in 2007. Rides great. I was 75 miles offshore a few times last summer. Boat did great! My only complaint is that the in-deck livewell fills with rain water. Good all around boat: Very managable boat to trailer, but big enough to take offshore, and I troll 15 lines in the chesapeake for rockfish.

Quality control of that vintage Seacraft certainly varied.

But I would think in some ways it is better to buy one like you are looking at as the original owner undoubdtly went through all of the warranty repairs and hopefully got all of the issues resolved.

I have seen things where a hose wasn't connected, some wiring wasn't crimped well and pulled apart on early 2000 Seacrafts, but I am not aware of any major structural issues though I am sure there are probably some out there.

Anyway, it is a good design and should be a good boat plus you have a fairly new outboard. Doesn't like sound like a bad deal overall.

I own a 1997 Seacraft Tracker 23sf with a 250 Suzuki, it is a great boat, I own one of the better constructed versions built in the Miami Plant. Problems of this era are: wiring(very messy but works), gel coat IV protection if a colored hull(fading, I have had mine Awlgriped), inner liner mounting/ support (not a problem with mine) and the rear deck live bait well (cover drains, seals from the cover to baitwell were needed but not supplied).

It is difficult to determine where the hull you are considering was in the production cycle, it could have been in the era of great hulls like mine. I have absolutely no stress cracks and have owned the boat since new. My biggest problem to date has been water in the fuel. This will be the last boat I own unless someone is giving away a Seacraft 32 SF w/ twin Suzuki 300's. Hope this helped.

I would like to add, I live in Chatham Ma, It occurred to me one day as my son and I headed in from fishing, that if we are on 23 foot boat and climbing up the back side of a wave in the cut so we could see where we were going and the whole boat is on the side of this wave, how big is it?

At the time I was following a good number of waves behind a 40 plus foot sport fish who was calling mayday that he was broaching and was going to require assistance. To me this seemed like a normal day in Chatham with the Seacraft.

Keep in mind while this boat is great in rough seas don't plan on staying dry.