Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trolling motor for offshore boat

I have a 255 Sea Pro 255 with a single Yamaha 300 HPDI, and I want to get a small (yamaha probably) Kicker Engine for trolling for Mackerel. I know my engine can it is just it is costly to just troll around with a 300 HPDI (even tho it idles on 4 cylinders) it takes a lot of gas and a lot of Yamalube. Also, I don't want a problem like a lot of the other 300 HPDI owners with fouling plugs and stuff. So my question is:

1) What size engine (t8, t9.9, or maybe even bigger?)

2) can I have the throttle controlled through the throttle for my main engine?

3) What size shaft for a boat that has a 30 in. main motor (20 or 25?)

I know I really want this, also if my main goes down, once I get towed back (or Drive bakc with kicker), I can troll down to the marina that is in the adjacent canal to mine.

That is properly a great idea. We used them a lot on the west coast trolling for salmon. I used a 15 HP on a 22' boat. How are you going to mount it ? There is a lot of great stuff on the market today. I went this route years ago I looked on ebay under motor mount , I have bought one from there and worked great, for my needs back then. Wish you the best :239_fishing:

Edited by TimW Texas

That is properly a great idea. We used them a lot on the west coast trolling for salmon. I used a 15 HP on a 22' boat. How are you going to mount it ? There is a lot of great stuff on the market today. I went this route years ago I looked on ebay under motor mount , I have bought one from there and worked great, for my needs back then. Wish you the best :239_fishing:

Thanks for the reply. The Sea Pro 255 has a euro style transom, and it has plenty of room for another small kicker (If Not two) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Capefisher:

Get a 9.9 Hi-Thrust with electric tilt, mount it on a bracket, and have an EZ-Steer connected to the main engine.

To explain. The 9.9 Hi-Thrust (most engine makers have this option because you have better speed control with the larger prop) and not go into having a higher horsepower engine (both a 9.9 and a 15 will only get the boat going at hull speed or 5-6 knots) and, therefore, you don’t need to spend on the larger motor.

Get electric tilt. My first kicker didn’t and it’s dangerous raising the motor in high seas. I almost went over the side trying to raise in a large wave situation.

EZ-Steer connect both engines so you can use the main engine’s steering to direct the kicker.

Why a bracket is because, if it’s the fixed type, it is really solid and will last. The variable type are finicky and, as I said, not the best in rough seas.

You could have a complete control box installed to manage the kicker but it’s not necessary. I did and that’s because Elly steering the boat while I tended the rods could put the kicker into neutral when I yelled, “Fish on!” However, if you can reach the kicker and put it in neutral easily from where your rods are then go that route.

One last to make this a Really Good Kicker: buy a prop guard so that trailing lines don’t get caught in the prop. Losing a fish this way is not a happy time.

MichaelR

Capefisher:

Get a 9.9 Hi-Thrust with electric tilt, mount it on a bracket, and have an EZ-Steer connected to the main engine.

To explain. The 9.9 Hi-Thrust (most engine makers have this option because you have better speed control with the larger prop) and not go into having a higher horsepower engine (both a 9.9 and a 15 will only get the boat going at hull speed or 5-6 knots) and, therefore, you don’t need to spend on the larger motor.

Get electric tilt. My first kicker didn’t and it’s dangerous raising the motor in high seas. I almost went over the side trying to raise in a large wave situation.

EZ-Steer connect both engines so you can use the main engine’s steering to direct the kicker.

Why a bracket is because, if it’s the fixed type, it is really solid and will last. The variable type are finicky and, as I said, not the best in rough seas.

You could have a complete control box installed to manage the kicker but it’s not necessary. I did and that’s because Elly steering the boat while I tended the rods could put the kicker into neutral when I yelled, “Fish on!” However, if you can reach the kicker and put it in neutral easily from where your rods are then go that route.

One last to make this a Really Good Kicker: buy a prop guard so that trailing lines don’t get caught in the prop. Losing a fish this way is not a happy time.

MichaelR

Thanks for the reply! I don't think I need an OB bracket because I have a Euro-transom. It Has plenty of room on either ride of the boat to place the engine. I think and Easy Steer, and electriv Tilt are mandatory, i can live without remote throttle though. :239_fishing: Fish On!