Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Responsibility?

Am I the only one who has a problem with boaters that like to brag about being stupid on the water? I notice that every other reply in regards to this post, supported what this guy was doing!

The internet is worldwide so basically we are showing all the other boaters in the world that we are idiots!

Yes I did some really stupid things when I was young, picture 1200 supercharged horsepower in a 16 foot boat! I like to think I have gotten smarter as I got older. I was also not endangering other lives in that boat. The big problem I have is the support this guy gets from the rest of the board.

If I am wrong to bring this up just let me know and I will go away.

Rick

Am I the only one who has a problem with boaters that like to brag about being stupid on the water? I notice that every other reply in regards to this post, supported what this guy was doing!

The internet is worldwide so basically we are showing all the other boaters in the world that we are idiots!

Yes I did some really stupid things when I was young, picture 1200 supercharged horsepower in a 16 foot boat! I like to think I have gotten smarter as I got older. I was also not endangering other lives in that boat. The big problem I have is the support this guy gets from the rest of the board.

Rick

At first I thought you were talking about the story of the guy who ran over a couple of people and was cleared of any charges. It would have fit that thread.

But in this case, while the crew may have been boneheads (friendly but loveable though), the captain made a point of stating he was completely sober. He didn't do anything most of us haven't done while heading offshore fishing. Running a boat at speed in snotty weather isn't always being a foolhardy and wreckless skipper. It might be, but in most cases it's sane and deliberate.

I at least didn't see anything wrong with the post. It was his bachelor party, and he was having a good time.

More power and more speed to him.

Or did I miss your point?

I agree with you. When I fist saw the vidio, I thought more pople would have given him grief.

Running fast in rough weather is one thing, but having a drunk crew is down right dangerous in any weather. As the Capt. he is responsible for the people on the boat. If anyone fell over or if they hit something and sunk, having a drunk crew would have led to a real disaster.

Well, you guys know I work for a builder. Too many times has the phrase "Too much money, not enough brains" been stated about some of our customers. But it is their money to spend, and their responsibility to deal with any circumstances should they arise.

You know me. I like 100 MPH on the water, cool as sh!t! But with a drunk crew? Not gonna happen. Get back to the dock and tie up for the eve? Have several beers!

We all make our own decisions, it's about time we lived up to them...

Rick

At first I thought you were talking about the story of the guy who ran over a couple of people and was cleared of any charges. It would have fit that thread.

But in this case, while the crew may have been boneheads (friendly but loveable though), the captain made a point of stating he was completely sober. He didn't do anything most of us haven't done while heading offshore fishing. Running a boat at speed in snotty weather isn't always being a foolhardy and wreckless skipper. It might be, but in most cases it's sane and deliberate.

I at least didn't see anything wrong with the post. It was his bachelor party, and he was having a good time.

More power and more speed to him.

Or did I miss your point?

Well yes you did sort of miss my point. Did you see anyone at the controls? He even said it was on autopilot. Would you go out with a bunch of drunks in those conditions on autopilot and not even be sitting at the helm?

Rick

Edited by Rickf

I saw that post and was thinking the same thing. Though that particular captain is an experienced go-fast boater, any number of small things could have happened that were out of his control, combined with the lack of attention shown by all aboard, that could have created an instant trajedy.

I am of the mindset that, a combination of two normally insignificant problems, can cause dangerous irreversible life threatening situations.

i.e. high speed in rough seas/thrown overboard hard without pfd

bad bilge pump/leak in washdown/baitwell plumbing while offshore

nightime high speeds in busy waterways/no bow watchman or proper lighting

You can't be too careful out there. JMO

It is true it was done in bad taste, poor judgement, and a lot of what if's .I for one do not condone such action's or behavior. I' am really glad to see that they made it ok in spite of there stupidity and hope to hell when they look at this they realize the dangers they put themselves in or others. Dead men don't tell stories ,but the way there found does

In my defense......

The most irresponsible thing I did that day was stay sober on my own bachelor party. j/k

Anyways, The guys really were not as intoxicated as they appear. They had only been drinking beer at a regular pace for maybe an hour or 2. What you are seeing on video is bunch of good buddies that do not see each other that often letting loose and having a great time. I do have a rule on my boat that if you get too drunk, then you have to where a life vest. All of these guys have been on my boats many times and they know how it responds to sea conditions.

Yes, the boat was on autopilt, but I was sitting at the helm making trim/tab adjustments the whole time. The autopilot was only on to maintain the heading. You can turn the wheel at any time.

BTW, 48 mph is not very fast in this boat, you would have to go for a ride to see for yourself.

Here is a post from the THT thread about the video. The response is from a sailboat captain we passed in Pensacola Bay:

"I saw you-all East Bound in Pensacola Bay - Looking good - and I did hear the props bark! she looked stable and tracking true in the following wind and sea.

I was on one of the sailboats you- all passed by - the big blue 45 footer - we were out racing and lets just say it was not dull.

Even though you-all were hauling butt - you kept a safe distance from all other boats and buoys and the boat looking to be in complete control. Thats the way to have fun!

We were seeing 35 knots apparent going upwind in the gusts - and steep breaking 2 foot chop in the ICW - when you-all passes by the true winds were pretty much 22 to 28 knots at abvout 260-250 heading."

Edited by Propbender