Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fixing a Trailer

I have been kicking around the idea of puchasing a used aluminum trailer. Today I stopped by my local Boat Mechanics shop, and he told me "dont buy anything we can fix what you have for alot less" The problem with my trailer is the main cross sections that the bunkers sit on, are rusted beyond repair. He has told me to go purchase new crossmembers, and he can weld on a plate to each end, then I can bolt it to the trailer where the old crossmembers were welded to. Has anyone ever tried or seen this done before. Sounds like it will work, and he says that it is pretty strong to. So what do you guys thing good idea, bad idea??

Well if I go with what my shop told me, Iam going to do it myself. The only thing I will get them to do is weld the plates on the end of the crossmembers. I have been looking at aluminum trailers online, and I haven't really ever noticed that the whole thing is bolted together. That is making me want to just try and fix what I have. Its just gonna be a matter of measuring, taking the old off, cleaning it up a bit, and bolting the new on.

Just be sure and check the frame rails, the tongue, the axle and springs for rust as well. I say this because of a steel trailer I had, first the tongue broke, square tube rusted from the inside, the the axle broke right at the spring ubolts, that is where I bought used trailer.

Thats why Iam thinking its a good idea to try and save what I have. Last summer I replaced an axle and leaf springs. The rest of the trailer looks to be in good shape. The main frame of the trailer is "c" section steel?? Dont know if thats the correct term or not, So I know theres no rust there. I am going to take alot of pics when I do this and do a litte build thread.

Sounds like you have something to work with, I would consider rebuild myself. With mine I had replaced the tongue with a new square tube but when the axle broke I found a used aluminum trailer in good shape for less that and axle would have cost.