Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ridding tank of unfortunate gas-water mix?

I would apreciate some advice as to clear my gas tank of water-tainted gas.

I did not properly seal the deck cap above the gas tank recently after installing a new fuel sending unit. I had to seal the shrink tubing around the electrical connection and did not have a proper heater, so I left it for later. Then came the monsoon rains for two days here in SoFla. My CC's closed transom became filled with water when the scuppers clogged. (Stupid, I know.) The water built up and drained right into the gas tank through the deck cap, overflowing the tank. I discovered the mess when the dog came into the house smelling like gas after playing near the stern.

I am in the process of manually draining the tank with a siphon hose. I have 12 gallons out so far, but the entire tank was full, so it will take awhile.

When the gas is out, what's my next move? Suction out the tank as well as possible with a wet vac? Is there any chemical I should add before refilling the tank. The engine (115 Johnson) hasn't run in months, so should I do anything to make sure no water gets into it?

Thanks for any and all advice.

DO NOT use a shop-vac. You would be sucking up gas and fumes into an electrical device. I think most of us would prefer not to read about you being a 2010 Darwin Award winner. I am sure someone on this site can give you a safe alternative to removing all tainted gas. I just did not want to see you get hurt. Good luck.

Where in SoFlo are you? I had water in my tank and had gas and tank cleaned. Dockside Filtration Service 954 525 1771. Rory is owner and based in Ft Laud. He brought everything to my driveway on a Saturday and took about 2 hours. Charged @ $200.00 for @ 120 gallons of gas and water. Removed @ 15 gallons of water and gas was usable when he was done.

Where in SoFlo are you? I had water in my tank and had gas and tank cleaned. Dockside Filtration Service 954 525 1771. Rory is owner and based in Ft Laud. He brought everything to my driveway on a Saturday and took about 2 hours. Charged @ $200.00 for @ 120 gallons of gas and water. Removed @ 15 gallons of water and gas was usable when he was done.

Thanks for the tips. I am in Royal Palm Beach - west of West Palm Beach - too far away for a Fort Lauderdale service.

Good point about the vet vac. I removed 12 gallons last night and another 12 gallons today, thanks to a new hand pump. The tank is still pretty full. Ugh.

I was also informed about a West Marine water separator. What do you all think about it?.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/59250/377%20710/0/funnel/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=funnel&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=funnel&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=68&classNum=219

BTW, I took the first 12 gallons of gas to the Solid Waste Authority transfer station today. There, I found disposal options for oil, antifreeze and just about everything else, but gas must be left in a container for disposal. The disposer loses his container?! No thanks. No one was available to answer questions (such as, "Can I just pour the gas into something?") late in the day.

I picked up a West Marine water separator funnel today ($25 for the small one, 3.5 GPH)and funneled 12 gallons of the mess. Most of the liquid came through the funnel as "gas", so I was happy. Then I smelled the tanks of "clean" gas and the gas smell was weak at best.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/59250/377%20710/0/funnel/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=funnel&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=funnel&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=68&classNum=219

So, I went to the kitchen sink and followed the funnel's testing directions. Sort of. I filled the funnel with tap water and most of it came through. Not good, because no water should make it through the funnel.

Then I followed the directions and added only one cup of water and most of it did not come through. ??? Could filling the funnel above the cylindrical filter at the bottom center of the funnel's interior cause water to come through? Odd, eh?

Anyway, I am now not sure if what I did removed much if any water from the gas mixture. I wonder if there is any place around that will test the gas inexpensively.