Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Raymarine and DSC Question

I've got a E80, and an ICom 502A with DSC. So, can anyone tell me if I'm using my Gladiator to travel to a waypoint and I try to trade positions with another boat, will the E80 show the other boat's position on the plotter? I'm trying to make sure everything is working OK, and have traded position requests before with the other boat showing up, but noted that while using the AP the other boat never appeared on screen.

I've got a E80, and an ICom 502A with DSC. So, can anyone tell me if I'm using my Gladiator to travel to a waypoint and I try to trade positions with another boat, will the E80 show the other boat's position on the plotter? I'm trying to make sure everything is working OK, and have traded position requests before with the other boat showing up, but noted that while using the AP the other boat never appeared on screen.

Ok here's the skinny. There is only one in and one out for the E or C classic series. So, If you have the Raystar 125 GPS antenna hooked up via SEATALK then you have one nmea0183 in and 1 nmea0183 out. If the VHF is recieving a signal for the only output from the E Series, (of which you can have three listeners--AP, VHF, Etc.) then that leaves a single input. Here's the rub. If the Gladiator is sending a heading signal to your E series plotter, then you cannot have the plotter RECIEVE a DSC from the VHF INTO the E Series... Only one talker at a time. If what I described is what your doing, you need a nmea0183 multiplexer. It will take in up to three devices and then buffers them all for single output.

Call me if you get lost. pm me for my number.

Ok here's the skinny. There is only one in and one out for the E or C classic series. So, If you have the Raystar 125 GPS antenna hooked up via SEATALK then you have one nmea0183 in and 1 nmea0183 out. If the VHF is recieving a signal for the only output from the E Series, (of which you can have three listeners--AP, VHF, Etc.) then that leaves a single input. Here's the rub. If the Gladiator is sending a heading signal to your E series plotter, then you cannot have the plotter RECIEVE a DSC from the VHF INTO the E Series... Only one talker at a time. If what I described is what your doing, you need a nmea0183 multiplexer. It will take in up to three devices and then buffers them all for single output.

Call me if you get lost. pm me for my number.

Thanks for the insight. I think I understand. That doesn't sound good if I'm running on AP and want to hit the DSC button. I think I do need a multi-plexer. I was going to add a Smart Heading Sensor also, and I think it says to hook up both the Seatalk and the NMEA, so there is yet another input going to the E-80 and radar. Frankly I don't know exactly where the SEatalk is, but I must have one in the mess of wires behind the helm.

Something like this? Raymarine E55059 NMEA 0183 Multiplexer

Edited by No Bail

Well wait a minute...When the E80 sends out your position on the single output nmea0183, up to three devices CAN see that (listener). So technically you can have an autopilot-Gladiator and a DSC radio BOTH seeing your position. The problem comes into play when there is only INPUT--That means only one person can talk...! The Gladiator will provide HDG (heading) and that's a pretty nice feature. So, a multiplexer will allow three devices talk on ONE input. I bought the one below and it worked very good see below..

http://brookhouseonline.com/nmeamux_aisc.htm

post-390-126897959221_thumb.jpg

Well wait a minute...When the E80 sends out your position on the single output nmea0183, up to three devices CAN see that (listener). So technically you can have an autopilot-Gladiator and a DSC radio BOTH seeing your position. The problem comes into play when there is only INPUT--That means only one person can talk...! The Gladiator will provide HDG (heading) and that's a pretty nice feature. So, a multiplexer will allow three devices talk on ONE input. I bought the one below and it worked very good see below..

Looks like a good brand. I had a chance to go looking through the wire nightmare for any sign of a Seatalk box, and I don't have one. I think they used a cross over cable and everything else just plugs in to the MFD (besides NMEA). So, I'll save my coin and not install a Smart Heading Sensor just yet. If I come down for Newport's halibut raid, maybe for a few cool ones you could take a look?

At times I feel like ripping out all the old wiring and starting over. I did find what I think is a NMEA block, where different devices are attached without the need for triple or quadruple crimps. If I find a skinny 8 year old that does wiring maybe I can reach those tiny wires to trace what device they come from, nothing is labeled!! From the colors on the wires and listing the radio, gladiator and MFD colors maybe I can deduce which device is hooked to which.

I have a mostly new Raymarine Heading sensor w/the fluxgate compass I can sell cheap. Used less than one year (6mo's) The boat was upgraded with an x10 Ray AP with the heading sensor built-in. There is a NMEA input line on the heading sensors box. As long as the input was an infrequent DSC input, I bet it would function as a limited multiplexer...THAT would fix your problem...New they were $600,.... online $400..... I would sell mine for $275.

Looks like a good brand. I had a chance to go looking through the wire nightmare for any sign of a Seatalk box, and I don't have one. I think they used a cross over cable and everything else just plugs in to the MFD (besides NMEA). So, I'll save my coin and not install a Smart Heading Sensor just yet. If I come down for Newport's halibut raid, maybe for a few cool ones you could take a look?

At times I feel like ripping out all the old wiring and starting over. I did find what I think is a NMEA block, where different devices are attached without the need for triple or quadruple crimps. If I find a skinny 8 year old that does wiring maybe I can reach those tiny wires to trace what device they come from, nothing is labeled!! From the colors on the wires and listing the radio, gladiator and MFD colors maybe I can deduce which device is hooked to which.

I have a mostly new Raymarine Heading sensor w/the fluxgate compass I can sell cheap. Used less than one year (6mo's) The boat was upgraded with an x10 Ray AP with the heading sensor built-in. There is a NMEA input line on the heading sensors box. As long as the input was an infrequent DSC input, I bet it would function as a limited multiplexer...THAT would fix your problem...New they were $600,.... online $400..... I would sell mine for $275.

I'll send a PM.