Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Schmitt Steering Wheel

Anybody run a Schmitt wheel in there boat? Was thinking of getting this one: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/82242/377%20710/0/steering%20wheels/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=steering wheels&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=steering wheels&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=222&classNum=223 for my boat. I'm sure it's no Edson, but I can afford this one. Never though those knobs would be usefull until I got hydraulic steering. Man you gotta crank forever to get from lock to lock!

Anybody run a Schmitt wheel in there boat? Was thinking of getting this one: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/82242/377%20710/0/steering%20wheels/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=steering wheels&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=steering wheels&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=222&classNum=223 for my boat. I'm sure it's no Edson, but I can afford this one. Never though those knobs would be usefull until I got hydraulic steering. Man you gotta crank forever to get from lock to lock!

Schmitt's OK, just get the bigger diameter (15 1/2") if it will fit.

Get the Edson its the best

I have one on my 19' CC and love it. I got the 13" wheel due to space, but the knob makes all the difference. It may not be an Edson, but seriously, it looks great and does the job. I really can't see how some "more expensive" wheel would do a better job than what I have. Nothing against the Edson brand or others, but why spend more for something when you don't have to. Anyway, that is just my opinion - get it and enjoy!

I have one on my 19' CC and love it. I got the 13" wheel due to space, but the knob makes all the difference. It may not be an Edson, but seriously, it looks great and does the job. I really can't see how some "more expensive" wheel would do a better job than what I have. Nothing against the Edson brand or others, but why spend more for something when you don't have to. Anyway, that is just my opinion - get it and enjoy!

Thanks for the feed back. Does the knob spend freely? DOes it ride on bearings? My brother has the edson and I really like it, but can't see paying the price.

Those Schmitt Destroyer wheels are decent but I prefer the cast wheels made by Gem. Really solid and no worries about rust at the spoke connections. The knobs are on a delrin bearing (at least I think it's delrin).

The first wheel with a knob I put on a boat was about 15 years ago at the customer's request. I thought it was a waste of money. That is, until I ran the boat. Just leaving the boat ramp changed my mind. Now, I can't imagine not having one.

Got a Schmitt. Like it a lot. The knob is on delrin and very smooth. Four years use and zero problems.

savage-albums-savage-picture42482-helm-features-lots-clear-acrylic.jpg