Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Etec? Optimax?

Possibly lookin at an etec 115ho or optimax 125 for the new bote which will be an East Cape Vantage. It's a sub 800# hull. The etec has a slightly bigger block, slightly lower gear ratio, is a lil lighter, has a higher rpm range, and should make 130 hp at the prop. Fancy stuff like special gauges and drive by wire is not a determining factor. As far as I can tell the pro xs Merc 115 is nothing more than carbon fiber reeds and a tuned exhaust. Same weight, same gear ratio, same rpm rating,etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by nate.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The etec has a slightly bigger block, slightly lower gear ratio, is a lil lighter, has a higher rpm range, and should make 130 hp at the prop.

This is a pretty good reason why... :1143_neener_neener_neener:

If you have a good Evinrude dealer in your area and the prices are close it would be tough to beat, especially at this HP range.

The (115) etec has a slightly bigger block, slightly lower gear ratio, is a lil lighter, has a higher rpm range, and should make 130 hp at the prop.

I don't know of an engine made that can create more HP at the prop than at the power head. There is nothing in a gear case that will increase HP :471_confused_face:

I'd buy a Yamaha :1121_wink:

The (115) etec has a slightly bigger block, slightly lower gear ratio, is a lil lighter, has a higher rpm range, and should make 130 hp at the prop.

I don't know of an engine made that can create more HP at the prop than at the power head. There is nothing in a gear case that will increase HP :471_confused_face:

I'd buy a Yamaha :1121_wink:

No E-turds for me. OptiMax all the way. Proven superior performance, reliability, and fuel economy for 2 strokes. Even though you don't care, if they offer DTS for that setup, you'll love it. Mercury was the first outboard with DTS and they have mastered it. Trust me, you won't regret going with the OptiMax, it's that good.

The "E-Turd" 115 has been a very reliable engine. That said I wouldn't say the Opti-bomb is a bad engine. But it will be louder and use more oil than the E-TEC.

E-Tecs are good motors, OptiPops are good....you'd be hard pressed to find a bad motor nowadays that you know you want to stay away from. It really all comes down to price, dealer network, and what works for your setup.

Edited by Blue Bayou