Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

5 Inches of Water in back of Boat!

The drain plug got stopped up on my 1972 Cohasset Boston Whaler (Montauk Hull) and there was about 5 inches of water in the back section of the floor. The water is out now, and my only concern is that the screw holes where the seat mounted were exposed (screws were out). Do you think that this has done any damage to the foam in the hull?

I am in the process of slowly restoring the boat, and hope I did not add any more problems for myself.

Thanks in advance,

David

The drain plug got stopped up on my 1972 Cohasset Boston Whaler (Montauk Hull) and there was about 5 inches of water in the back section of the floor. The water is out now, and my only concern is that the screw holes where the seat mounted were exposed (screws were out). Do you think that this has done any damage to the foam in the hull?

I am in the process of slowly restoring the boat, and hope I did not add any more problems for myself.

Thanks in advance,

David

if your worried about water in the hull do what i did remove the drain plug tube get the bow high let it drain and istall a new tube. while it drains repair any screw holes on the deck or gunnels. I did it to my 1971 katama (newport hull)

The foam used in boats in the 1970's was an open cell foam. It can absorb water like a sponge and no amount of draining will get it out. If you trap that moisture in the hull it will cause problems later. There is only 2 ways to tell if the foam is water logged, cut out a section of the sole and physically inspect it, or weight the boat and compare it to the manufacturers original hull weight. It's not unusual for boats of this age to weigh twice what they used to :( If it is saturated, the only fix is to get all the old foam out and replace it with modern closed cell foam, then rebuild the sole.

I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is what it is :504_shrugging:

Edited by Cracker Larry

When I had a boat surveyed prior to purchase, all of the surveyors advertised that they had a device that could determine if there was water in the hull. If there is anything to that, maybe you could consult a surveyor before you start cutting holes in your whaler.

I am sorry to hear that happened to your old Whaler. I hope that the impact was minimal. I've got a '71 21' Outrage that we regard as a member of the family! She is all original finish (not perfect) and trim, but on her second bow railing, third engine, third trailer, and fourth full set of electronics.

• 2 weeks later...
Any way to find out the origional weight of the boat??

Sure, here ya go

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/specifications.html

or

http://www.whalercentral.com/userphotogallery.php

If you can't find your model there, call BW customer service dept.

Edited by Cracker Larry