Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Question regarding Air Conditioner Install

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question regarding a thought that just ran through my mind. I am about to start installing a 16,000BTU AC unit in my 1991 31ft Tiara Open, the boat is not equipped with a generator so the air will only every be ran at the dock while plugged into my shore power. I am dreading the thought of drilling through the bottom of my hull for the water pick up for the AC unit. Would it be ok to install a tee above the sea cock that supplies water to one of the strainers for the engines?? I was thinking I could install a tee and then a new valve and strainer that would supply the air conditioner which would only be ran while at the dock with out the engines running.

Any thoughts???? Be easy on me please!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question regarding a thought that just ran through my mind. I am about to start installing a 16,000BTU AC unit in my 1991 31ft Tiara Open, the boat is not equipped with a generator so the air will only every be ran at the dock while plugged into my shore power. I am dreading the thought of drilling through the bottom of my hull for the water pick up for the AC unit. Would it be ok to install a tee above the sea cock that supplies water to one of the strainers for the engines?? I was thinking I could install a tee and then a new valve and strainer that would supply the air conditioner which would only be ran while at the dock with out the engines running.

Any thoughts???? Be easy on me please!

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I understand your trepidation in regards to putting another hole in the bottom of your boat...but we do it all the time at the plant!

But one thing I wouldn't do is tee into your engine intake to feed the AC pump. Now, I know, the AC will only be ran at the dock with the motors shutdown. That's fine. But when the engines are running, what kind of air are the intakes going to be sucking in from the AC hoses, and how might that affect the coolant water flow to the engine? Not something I'd like to find out about...the hard way!

Install a separate 3/4" high-speed pickup, 3/4" shutoff valve, a good bronze strainer, and get over the fear of another hole in the bottom of your boat...

If you need some install advice, let me know, I've probably done a 1000 of them. :1992_beer_cheer:

Those things did cross my mind also. I will stick to the proper procedure and install it like it should be done. Any tips on the bronze water pick up would be great. I don't want my Tiara to get wet!!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I've always used this one from Groco.sthw-2.jpg

1 1/8" hole saw. Bed with 5200, you can t/bolt it if you want, but it's not necessary. Put a bead around the stem on the inside of the hull before you tighten the backing nut down.

Anything else, sir?

Bob C

You can always tie a "tee" into another Thru Hull fitting, such a raw water pump or for the baitwell...Also, don't forget to use a sea cock and not a ball valve if you install a THF...

Also, I hope you plan to wire up this correctly, because incorrect wiring of AC power can be deadly.

I just the other day found this option on a leftover airconditioned proline for sale in the building. It had 3 exrta batteries and an inverter on a ob with no generator. It supposedly can run for 7 hrs away from the dock. Over on enougher site I asked the question and got good answers from proline people.

Edited by bly

I just the other day found this option on a leftover airconditioned proline for sale in the building. It had 3 exrta batteries and an inverter on a ob with no generator. It supposedly can run for 7 hrs away from the dock. Over on enougher site I asked the question and got good answers from proline people.

Thanks, Bly, that was me (seabob4).

Bob C