Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Crusader 454 repower options

rrrwel

Got a pair of 1988 Gen 1V 454 Crusaders in a 37' bridge boat that I'm looking to repower.Of course like everyone else a bit more performance would be desireable. First looked at new 8.1's but after running the numbers I really can't justify the cost.

I know I can throw in a couple of long blocks but I'm not improving my performance. I would spend some extra if there's a reliable alternative.

I spoke with the guys over at 454marine.com and they claim they can bring my current engines up to 425 HP with more torque and better fuel economy. They back it up with a 7 year or 500 hr warranty. Has anyone had any experience with these guys? Can this performance really be acheived on a Gen 1V 454? Almost sounds too good to be true so I'm a bit skeptical, but I only maintain my engines I don't know anything about building them.

Suggestions welcome.

Rick

Sure , you can get more power but burn less fuel ? more power = more fuel , sure you can improve the efficiency a Little( like with EFI) But if your going to run harder (faster) you going to burn more fuel. A heavy bridge boat needs low end power.when you raise the HP at high end its at a loss of low end in most cases .

You make get the same results just by raising your Cruse rpm. What are you cruising at now ?

The only way to get what I beleve you are looking for ( more speed and less fuel) is going with EFI engines ( not a add on) or Diesel .

Re; new 8.1's. If you plan to keep the boat for a good while, the reliability , increased power and cruise speed with better economy, and satisfaction of being able to continually access engine data & diagnostics on the new MPI engines can be worth a lot more than resale value concerns to some owners.The new Crusaders have MEFI 5 ignitions with increased data output and can have electronic Sync&Cruz with engine sync, 1 lever throttle to control both engines,and throttle incremental cruise or troll)control. Rebuilds, especially for more power, can be iffy propositions according to so many reports on forums like this. That rebuild warranty certainly sounds better than for new ones, but what does it really cover and how many have had true satisfaction with multiple claims under rebuild warranties? Maybe you'll be lucky.

Down side of the new engines is I think they may have catalytic converters and who knows whether they add any restriction or excess heat or how long they will typically last before need for expensive replacement in marine application. .

(Not sure about 8.1's having the converters yet. The 2009 lineup showed the 6.0's with all in 1 ex manifold, cat converter & and riser 7 it looked like a pricey part, but no converter shown on the 2009 8.1's. 2010's not shown yet.)

Edited by Little Katuna

I currently run at 19 to 20 knts. at 3400 rpm sometimes 3500. Not really looking for increased top end HP, looking for increased power in the mid range. There's something to say about running at a higher rpm with my boat. Fuel flow meters indicate about a 12% better mpg when running at 3450 rpm compared to running at 3200.

Regarding 8.1's, I sure would like to put them in but your're looking at 30K with installation for a pair. A pair of qaulity remans will be under 10K. Not trying to be cheap but just can't justify and extra 20k.

I certainly understand. Just replacing carbed blue 5.7's with 5.7 MPI's & new higher hp rated transmissions requiring slightly shorter length shafts, new shaft seals & different pitch props on a 27'er ran me just shy of $40k in 2003, more than the boat is worth but I enjoy the new MPI engines a lot more just the same. I have to of course. :D

If I had known it was going to cost that much more than the yard's estimate I might not have done it, but in retrospect I'm really glad I did when using the boat 3-400 hrs a yr in the NE. Certainly not saying this would necessarily be the best choice for you or trying to bend your arm, just throwing out another perspective to factor in (or out).

FWIW, even with same trans ratio and 2" LESS pitch (to reach the proper spec'd higher WOT,) the boat with now 120 total add'l hp, has the same NMPG or slightly better at about 400 higher easy cruise RPM and 2-5kts better cruise speed .(That's still less than Crusader's recommended 75% WOT cruise.) With MEFI-4 , I can access loads of ECM data with Diacom, Tech Mate and the B& G Net-Engine display, even how many hours& tenths total the engines have ever been run at each successively higher 100rpm increment, and calculated present fuel flow. I also like the idea that the MPI engines are more likely to best adapt to any gasahol quality irregularities with least risk to the engine because of their sensors which the ECM uses to decide to instantly adjust ignition, fuel and rpm. Wish I had the new ones with MEFI-5 & Sync & Cruz, though I have installed very nice Accusync on mine.

Whatever you end up with, get back out there soon and enjoy the water!

Edited by Little Katuna