Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boozin and Cruzin

OK, I know this has been covered but I have yet to see a clear cut answer.

I boat in NJ so Florida and California laws probably are different.

Let's say I load up the fish lockers with ice and beer for a day of cruising around and hitting the local sand bars.

Of course I will not be drinking anything but soda and water. So what is the ruling on having beer on board even when I am not partaking? I never drink when I am away from the dock but is there a problem with having alchohol in open containers and closed for everyone else on the boat?

Let's say I load up the fish lockers with ice and beer for a day of cruising around and hitting the local sand bars.

Of course I will not be drinking anything but soda and water. So what is the ruling on having beer on board even when I am not partaking? I never drink when I am away from the dock but is there a problem with having alchohol in open containers and closed for everyone else on the boat?

I don't know the answer for sure but if that is a problem, then the boat nannies have gone too far, IMHO.

I don't know the answer for sure but if that is a problem, then the boat nannies have gone too far, IMHO.

I agree but I wonder if it is like having open containers and closed ones within reach of the driver in a car.

i'm 99% sure that you may have open containers on a boat as long as the drivers BAC is below the legal limit. i dont think there is any stipulation on where the location of the open containers are... i'd be interested to see what the exact law is...

My understanding is that in Florida it is not illegal to drink while operating a boat. However it is not legal to be over the legal limit when operating the boat.

That is the rule in my area. Stay under .08 and you are good to go.

I have been boarded for safety checks by coast guard and local police and neither has commented on open containers at the helm.

• 2 weeks later...

most everywhere I know of, open containers are fine, as long as the captain is sober. The key here is looking like you are straight, and keep your empties out of site. In the case of a safety check, show that you know what you are doing by properly rigging your fenders, having lines ready to go, and go ahead and have all of your safety gear easy to get to, and most DNR guys won't give you a second look.

i researched fl. DUI laws one time and found out that a person could get a DUI even on his own property if he is operating his riding lawnmower. also if you are legally drunk and sleeping it off in your car, the Fl. law states that you must not have the keys in the ignition and you must not be sleeping or sitting in the drivers seat. so be careful with FL.