Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Parallel battery hookup

If I hooked two group 27 batteries in parallel what charger could I use a single bank or a double bank?What model would suit my needs best?

Thanks

DT

if you connect two batteries in parrallel the voltage would remain the same and the cca's will double. both batteries will act as one and a single bank charger would be fine as long as both the batteries are good. if one is weaker than the other then the good one will discharge into the other and average out the voltage. you would use a 2 bank charger for batteries that are isolated from one another such as starting and house banks.

If I hooked two group 27 batteries in parallel what charger could I use a single bank or a double bank?What model would suit my needs best?

Thanks

DT

if you connect two batteries in parrallel the voltage would remain the same and the cca's will double. both batteries will act as one and a single bank charger would be fine as long as both the batteries are good. if one is weaker than the other then the good one will discharge into the other and average out the voltage. you would use a 2 bank charger for batteries that are isolated from one another such as starting and house banks.

It's not your CCAs that double, but your Amp Hours. For example, a Group 24 Exide Nautilus 1000 has a reserve capacity 115 Ah. Wire 2 in parallel and you end up with a 12V bank having 230 Ah's of capacity. To understand Amp-hours, let's say you have a steady 10A draw. Divide 230Ah by the 10A draw, and your batt bank in theory will last 23 hours...in theory, but most likely less.

As far as a charger, like my friend SB4 said elsewhere, a single bank charger will work, but you'd be better off with a 2 bank. :1121_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

DT

When you connect the two batteries parallel it becomes one battery or one bank. Are you using a 12 volt system and just want more capacity? If you would like to give me a call I'll try and help you. Tracy @ Dry Dock Boat Services 888-860-9111 or tracy@drydockboat.com

Thanks

DT

When you connect the two batteries parallel it becomes one battery or one bank. Are you using a 12 volt system and just want more capacity? If you would like to give me a call I'll try and help you. Tracy @ Dry Dock Boat Services 888-860-9111 or tracy@drydockboat.com

Thanks Dry Dock

The only part I was not sure of was the 1 or 2 bank charger.I hooked everything up using the 1 battery for now but set everything up so I can just drop the second battery in when I am ready.Thanks again