Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Spotlight mounting

Hello-

New to the board. Found it by doing a search for Miami boat show pics.

I want to mount a remote spotlight and am pretty happy with the reviews I've read about golight. My options for mounting would be either my bow, or on the top. I have a canvas top and also an enclosed radar on a 25' walkaround.

I would prefer to mount on the top, for simplicity purposes. Would mounting the light affect the radar, or is it small enough to be insignificant? If I mount on the bow, is it acceptable to mount astern of the anchor locker? The reason I want to go further back is I have a metal plate on the bow and it would be difficult to drill through. Additionally, I do not want to have it getting in the way when I am anchoring.

If I were to mount it would be about 3' astern and about 6" raised up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by bisoned

On my Dad's boat the spot light is mounted on the top. I installed the radar on a 12" raised base to lift the radar above the spot light. The spot light works fine on the t-top the only problem I have with mounting it there is that it tends to reflect of the bow. Mounting it as far forward possible would be best to eliminate the glare.

my spotlight is currently mounted on my hard top. Its mounted below and in front of my radar. One of my winter projects is to move it or upgrade it to the bow/pulpit. I just get too much glare and not enough benefit from the spotlight in its current location. I find when I have someone holding a handheld on the bow I get almost no glare, and can see a lot better. As far as i can tell my radar is uneffected by the current position of the light.