Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Primer/Paint on Aluminum boat

I had a couple small leaks in my 14' Aluminum boat so decides to strip the inside and fix the rivets and seal it with Gluvit. I have been looking around for what primer and paint to use. I'm being told it needs to be a self etching primer. I have checked over on Iboats under the aluminum boat section and they suggest Zinc Chromate for the primer. I'm used that before on weapon systems and it works very well but i've only found it in spray cans. What do you guys suggest for primer and then paint for aluminum. I am going to put some sort of non-skid like rhino liner/grizzly grip inside the boat and primer repaint the outside also.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Doug

I use self etching primer for aluminum after using an aluminum cleaner/treatment. The products you need for this system are available from an automotive paint store. I use Dupont Vari-prime,low build super adhering to aluminum. And these stores also are a good source for the cleaner/treater (an acid product that is diluted with water). To get Vari-prime you will have to go to a store that stocks DuPont products. I think BASF has an acid (self-etching) primer as well but I am not 100% sure on that. I follow the self etching primer with a two part epoxy primer for some build and added protection and finish with an automotive paint. Usually use an acrylic enamel modified with urethane. I don't think pure urethane finish paint is of much, if any, added benefit if you have cleaned, treated, applied self etching primer and followed with a couple of coats of epoxy.

A famous aluminum boat fabricator in our area has a simpler system for whole boat painting, he sandblasts, shoots epoxy primer, then finishes with two part urethane. His paint jobs hold up very well.

My aluminum painting has been on tee tops, railings, grab bars ect.