Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

When do you know you're a captain?

How do you quantify the word/meaning of,Captain...

I know some who think that they can buy a boat and become a captain, some get a "proper" license and some get caught in 10ft seas only to deliver themselves and their crew home safely. So, how do you, or did you determine that you were a captain??

Just stirring the pot and looking for motivation to take the boat out again with all this bs weather..

PD

Been boating for 20+ years and am on my 4th boat. Someone bot me a hat 10 yrs ago with my boat name on the front and "Captain" on the back, I wont wear it. This fall I plan on spending 2 weeks at the Mass Maritime Accedemy getting my captains license. When I pass the test, I'll wear the hat.

Regards,

Dave

I was coming in very slowly head on to a concrete dock because there was limited space at a marina. A dock hand comes out to help and gets right on the edge of the dock kind of sideways or straddled. As my boat approached real slow, I expected him to stop the bow with his foot, instead he does nothing and says, "whoa Captain" just as my boat hits the dock and chips the gel coat.

I know what your thinking, never stop a boat with your foot. I agree, but he could have easily put his foot on top of the boat instead of between the dock and the boat. That way it is safe and they way I always do it. Now I tell dock hands to stay away until I am tied up and then they can collect their fees.

Monza, I dont know your experience or background. But I have learned, never approach anything faster in a boat, than you want to hit it. Sometimes current,wave action also comes into play. Before I get ready to dock, I deploy fenders. There is a way to rig three for the bow of your boat. Never trust someone to guide YOUR boat to dock. :rb-rules:

Have Knots, I am no expert but I have common sense. When the dock hand gets right on the edge of the dock and gets straddled, I assumed he was going to stop the boat. It is normally not an issue, but it was that day. I usually just use a touch of reverse but since he was there and I didn't want my boat to be blown into another boat I let it have forward but very slow momentum. Now, I assume that I am not going to get any help and it makes things easier.

However, your advice is right on and I will think about it next time I am sure.