Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Wax ?

I am curious to know what you guys use to apply compound, waxes or polish. Do you use a random polisher or the tried and true Makita 9227? If you have to compound a little what do you use? Have you ever used any of the Lake Country pads or do you use the wool thing? C Dan

I was in the middle of a detail when my old craftsman 8" orbital took a dive. I picked up a Hrb. frt Chicago 10" random Orb....I already had a 7" polisher that has worked well for the past two years. I use 3m color glass restore, squirt it on my 10" terry pad to apply the compound. I follow that up with my polisher with a nice furry wool pad and use 3m finesse it final finish..

Here's the 7" and pad, the 10" didn't load

post-658-1238380155_thumb.jpg

No, that pad and buffer is for the wax. I use a 10" random orbital with a big foam pad and a terry cloth cover for the compounding. I like the big foam pad because it flexes down into areas like semi-recessed cleats, and at the bottom of splash wells. So it takes two sizes. Also, i try and keep a little water on the terry pad that I use with the RO.

I am curious to know what you guys use to apply compound, waxes or polish. Do you use a random polisher or the tried and true Makita 9227? If you have to compound a little what do you use? Have you ever used any of the Lake Country pads or do you use the wool thing?

C Dan

The Makita 9227 for compound or 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material. When I apply and remove Rejex, I do it by hand. I am going to try my new Porter Cable random orbital polisher with the Rejex.

I am curious to know what you guys use to apply compound, waxes or polish. Do you use a random polisher or the tried and true Makita 9227? If you have to compound a little what do you use? Have you ever used any of the Lake Country pads or do you use the wool thing?

C Dan

Dan - Wow, by now I thought you would be all set up and ready to go - saw your post on that other site. Anyway, Lake country makes both wool and foam pads. They make a quality product. The twisted wool is used for compounding with a circular buffer and the foams are normally used with the orbitals when polishing.

I think Don over at Leverage gives good advice. He recommends a very inexpensive circular from Harbor Freight that would suit you well, if you need to compound. He also carries the pads. I personally use the Makita with the avenger pad from proper boat care, (it might even be a Lake Country pad) After compounding, most of the newer polymer sealants/polishes can then be applied by hand. I like using the Porter Cable 7424 to get a little more shine to my polish using a red foam pad. Plus it goes faster on larger boats.

Good luck

rrwel,

you are correct. I thought I was good to go also. It was suggested to me to try the polymer instead of my Collinite. That changed things for me. I have purchased the Yacht Brite brand Pro Polish polymer. I like the idea of using the circular and then the random for the polish. That way I have to buy two new toys. Thanks

Cabana Dan

I see that the Chicago polisher is only $39. I assume that this is the one that you are speaking of. Besides the Makita name on the side, how different are the two units? I am not a professional detailer so I would assume that the cheaper one would work fine. Do I need any special adapters to use the Lake Country flexible backing pads? Does Harbor freight, or anyone else, make a unit similar to the Porter Cable 7424?

Cabana Dan

• 3 months later...
I have been using the colinite product..... is there anything better ?

Most of your results will come from your preparation. Meaning, prep the surface with 91% alcohol, compound, polish then any easy to use wax will be best. If you are looking for longevity. Buy a water softener, use a soap with wax and dry with a weed blower. Follow up with a quick spray wax...

:2261_high: